The Florida Project (2017)
October 14, 2017 9:46 PM - Subscribe

Set over one summer, the film follows precocious 6-year-old Moonee as she courts mischief and adventure with her ragtag playmates and bonds with her rebellious but caring mother, all while living in the shadows of Disney World.
posted by Pizzarina Sbarro (4 comments total)

A24 is selling this as a quirky post-Wes Anderson movie with cute kids in adult-ish situations and Willem Dafoe, and I'd gone to see it with that expectation in mind. It's far darker and more squalid than the trailer and the first teaser poster would suggest. I had a strong reaction to it, but if I went in expecting something more like the first third of Moonlight I would probably have enjoyed it more. YMMV, of course.
posted by pxe2000 at 1:16 PM on October 16

I'm suprised. I didn't know much about the marketing, I just knew "was directed by the guy who directed tangerine" so it was about how I expected. I really really adored the movie. But I could see it being a bummer if one went in with different expectations.
posted by KernalM at 11:27 AM on October 17

This was the best movie of the year so far. It combined being clear-eyed with immense compassion, which I think is a very difficult feat to pull off. Everyone in this gave amazing performances, especially Moonee and Willem Dafoe's character. This may be the best performance I've seen from Dafoe. I can't express how much I loved this film and how moving and heartbreaking I found it.
posted by Falconetti at 3:08 PM on October 18

I loved it, and I thought the ending was so perfect - pop goes the bubble.
posted by Gin and Broadband at 1:30 PM on November 12

« Older Movie: Loving Vincent...   |  Saturday Night Live: Kumail Na... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster