Universal Harvester
February 8, 2017 6:39 AM - by John Darnielle - Subscribe

Jeremy works at the Video Hut in Nevada, Iowa. It’s a small town in the center of the state―the first a in Nevada pronounced ay. This is the late 1990s, and even if the Hollywood Video in Ames poses an existential threat to Video Hut, there are still regular customers, a rush in the late afternoon.

John Darnielle (a.k.a. The Mountain Goats) presents his second novel after the acclaimed Wolf in White Van.
posted by Etrigan (2 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I'm busy inhaling the book right now, but I wanted to note (because I found this entertaining, if not exactly surprising, and suspect others might as well) that today's author reading in Cambridge featured JD namedropping Theodore Roethke, Anton Bruckner, and Yevgeny Yevtushenko right alongside shoutouts to Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Parliament, and Star Wars.
posted by dorque at 7:42 PM on February 8

Finally got a chance to finish this (I kept starting and stopping and having to go back...), and it's definitely of a piece with Wolf in White Van but doesn't pull it off nearly as well. It felt a lot like The Tree of Life -- I see what Darnielle was going for, and I don't think he quite pulled it off, and it just wasn't my bag to start with.

Still, some haunting prose and imagery caught up in there, and once I got the chance to really get started on it, it was damn hard to stop.
posted by Etrigan at 12:39 PM on March 17

« Older Book: Norse Mythology...   |  The West Wing: The Stackhouse ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster