Iron Fist: Mystical Kung Fu Part Two, Chi Boogaloo
September 9, 2018 4:49 PM - Season 2 (Full Season) - Subscribe

The second season of Iron Fist picks up where the last one left off, with Danny, Coleen, Davos and Joy all doing what comes next...

I figured there wasn't a desire (nor merit) for individual episodes, so this is for the whole season, spoilers included.

As before, feel free to have a full and spoilerific discussion including critiques, opinions and summations of the show here.
posted by homunculus (16 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

There was a lot about this season I didn't particularly like, but once Colleen mentioned the Pirate Queen of Pinghai Bay my hopes started rising, and I was pleasantly surprised when she got the fist. Seeing her with her glowing katana made the whole season worth it, and I'm actually looking forward to a next season.

I also liked the character of Walker. Not a credible portrayal of DID, but for a comic show I thought she was quite engaging.

My least favorite part was Kun Lun. Have these Buddhistish monks ever read the sutras? Their training methods pretty much guarantees that whoever has the biggest ego becomes the Iron Fist. And the writers seem to lay a substantial amount of the blame for Davos's actions ultimately on his mother. FFS.

I also just couldn't get myself to really give a shit about Ward until the very end. Maybe next time.
posted by homunculus at 5:06 PM on September 9

Oh, and I was happy Misty was there, she's always great, but I was disappointed that Luke didn't make a cameo. But they did seem to imply that Colleen might have to confront Luke at some point, so that could be good.
posted by homunculus at 5:10 PM on September 9

For a second there, toward the end of the season, I thought "are they just going to replace Danny Rand with Colleen Wing?" Because I would be fine with that.
posted by axiom at 7:11 PM on September 9 [3 favorites]

I'm only two episodes deep, but this seems much better than the first season.
posted by figurant at 1:22 AM on September 10

This was much better than season 1 and a big part of it is the shorter season.

For a second there, toward the end of the season, I thought "are they just going to replace Danny Rand with Colleen Wing?" Because I would be fine with that.

And of course all the fanboys are butt-hurt about Colleen getting the Iron Fist and crying "SJW/Feminazis ruined my show!!"
posted by Pendragon at 3:01 AM on September 10 [1 favorite]

Two things I'd really like to see in future seasons: Colleen having a friendly conversation with Shou Lao, and Jessica having a drunken bar fight with Zhou Cheng.
posted by homunculus at 7:02 AM on September 10

Has ol' Fisty's annoyance level abated this season (he got a little bit less annoying in Luke Cage)?
posted by porpoise at 2:04 PM on September 10

I haven't watched this but I find it remarkable that Netflix isn't showing it to me in any category. Not new releases, not trending, not martial arts action, nothing. They know I've watched every single episode of all the other Netflix Marvel shows.

I must have given season one a đź‘Ž.
posted by paper chromatographologist at 2:59 PM on September 10 [2 favorites]

And of course all the fanboys are butt-hurt about Colleen getting the Iron Fist and crying "SJW/Feminazis ruined my show!!"

Hooray? I mean, I'm all for nailing two birds with one stone. Piss off a bunch of assholes AND make the show better.
posted by axiom at 4:29 PM on September 10 [4 favorites]

I'm almost done episode 4 but this is really not holding my attention at all. Super boring.
posted by sevenyearlurk at 6:11 PM on September 10

I like it better than season 1 but it's still not in the top tier of Marvel projects. I would watch Henwick's Colleen Wing headline this show.
posted by Justinian at 6:39 PM on September 10

Has ol' Fisty's annoyance level abated this season (he got a little bit less annoying in Luke Cage)?

Nope. He's pretty much back to the way he was in season one.

I'm almost done episode 4 but this is really not holding my attention at all. Super boring.

You could skip to episodes 9 & 10 if you just want to see Iron Fist Colleen. The first 8 episodes are basically filler.
posted by homunculus at 9:41 PM on September 10 [1 favorite]

Binged the season and I agree with the comments.

One bright spot was Mary Walker (Alice Eve), she was good.

Much better backstory than the comics.
posted by KaizenSoze at 4:49 PM on September 11

Yeah, I thought it was better, if only because there was less Danny elbowing his way into shit he doesn't understand? Ok, the whole "but he's my broooother" plot was stretched a bit, but I suppose it contrasted nicely with Joy and Ward's familial difficulties. Dude, just because he's your brother doesn't mean he's not also on a homicidal rage to cleanse the city blah blah blah. Suck it up and do what needs to be done. That said, the bits of Danny that were there seemed better intentioned and better written?

Alice seemed to be handled well, although I kept expecting more affect switches at inopportune times, and I really sorta expected the Sokovia-bustin' aspect to wake up and tear shit up during the two-Fists fight. (You thought you were getting Mary out of this? Ho ho ho - it's clobberin' time(tm).)

At the end of the day it feels like Davos' street gang didn't amount to anything special? I mean OK when you have a double Iron Fist on one side of the scale, the cannon fodder doesn't need to really be all that great, but Colleen just went through them like they hadn't even bothered training. You'd figure they'd be easily outmatched by a squad of tigers or hatchets. And there was a bit of nonverbal back and forth between BB and someone else (Rhyno?) when they were all getting taken into Davos' gang that I'm not sure if I was misreading or if there was something meant to happen there. (Like, ok, let's just play along with 'Shifu' until we get our score and we'll GTFO....)
posted by Kyol at 7:06 AM on September 18

Somewhere online - of course I can't find it now - I swear there was a review of this season titled something like "Iron Fist S2 improves greatly by spending a lot less time with Iron Fist". Which pretty much sums up my feelings about this.

No, wait (duh, how does teh googlez work?), I think I got it:

The Verge: Season 2 of Netflix’s Iron Fist recognizes that Danny Rand is the worst thing about the show; Netflix’s most derided Marvel Cinematic Universe show is back for season 2 with a new showrunner and a new strategy: sidelining its problematic protagonist

There's also the AV Club: Iron Fist is still the least interesting part of Iron Fist

Comment from the AV Club comments (regarding Ward), "The show works so much better if you watch it as the story of a guy finally breaking out of his father’s control, which is occasionally interrupted by some jackass who knows kung fu."

Also, Misty Knight is the best.
posted by soundguy99 at 6:47 AM on September 19

« Older FLCL: Flying Memory...   |  Rel: Pilot... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments