The Sisters Brothers (2018)
October 11, 2018 9:28 AM - Subscribe

Based on the acclaimed 2011 novel by Patrick deWitt, the colourfully named gold prospector Hermann Kermit Warm is being pursued across 1,000 miles of 1850s Oregon desert to San Francisco by the notorious assassins Eli and Charlie Sisters. Except Eli is having a personal crisis and beginning to doubt the longevity of his chosen career.
posted by GuyZero (2 comments total)

Like all adaptations of books I liked I'm not sure I liked the movies as much, but I am biased and have a hard time appreciating the film on its own merits as a different work than the novel. But that's my personal bias.

I thought it was a great film and the theme of death and violence runs throughout. In the end (trying to avoid a spoiler) the violence of the Sisters Brothers proves itself irrelevant as in the end death comes for us all regardless.

The performances were very good but I think I was more taken by the west coast scenery of mountains and high plains.
posted by GuyZero at 9:32 AM on October 11, 2018 [3 favorites]

I was lured into seeing this after hearing an interview with John C. Reilly, who apparently optioned the novel to get this produced. In that interview, he said that what appealed to him was that it felt like "it's a Western without the toxic masculinity". I don't think that's a completely accurate description, but I can see why he said it. (I dug the spoiler twist at the end, and how it allowed for the following final sequence; that was kind of quiet and lovely.)

Fair warning to those who haven't seen it yet that there are some body-horror elements.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 5:41 PM on October 16, 2018 [1 favorite]

« Older Podcast: Heavyweight: #17 Skye...   |  American Horror Story: Boy Won... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster