Abducted in Plain Sight (2017)
February 8, 2019 9:20 PM - Subscribe

The twisting, turning, stranger-than-fiction true story of the Brobergs, a naive, church-going Idaho family that fell under the spell of a sociopathic neighbor with designs on their twelve-year-old daughter. CW: abuse

Is this the world's most naive family?
posted by k8t (6 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I found this movie fascinating. Yes, the family is very naive.

But part of what was interesting to me is how the case fits the pattern of most molestation cases so much more closely than most infamous true crime stories. The specific and deliberate grooming of the family by a known acquaintance, rather than some random happening.

I felt for the father, who I suspect was gay, given the marriage difficulties and the way the blackmail panned out.
posted by PhoBWanKenobi at 6:36 AM on February 9 [1 favorite]

I had to take a break in the middle of this because there were just so many twists and turns that left me completely dumbfounded. The family was naive, but what about the community they lived in? Their church? B’s own brother? So many people slipped up, and were complicit. Even the rulings B received for his crimes floored me.

I agree with how fascinating this was.
posted by loriginedumonde at 3:18 PM on February 9

I watched this on the heels of the Ted Bundy Tapes and it did not have me feeling too good about humanity.

I wonder if the filmmaker intentionally chose that title to mislead? It is so hilariously vague and has very little to do with what actually happened.
posted by something something at 3:21 PM on February 9

Oh good, I'm not the only one that saw this and was wtf about the family?!! I felt bad for them but at the same time had this all accompanying rage that made me want to find them and yell at their faces. So many people let her down. I don't think I've really seen the grooming of a whole family in a true crime show before like this and that kept me watching. It left me with a feeling of despair.
posted by kanata at 6:37 AM on February 10 [1 favorite]

So I'm only about 26 minutes in. The one thing that made sense to me is the Brobergs were/are members of the LDS. To me this explained a LOT of their naïveté. But also it explains why this serial predator wasn't caught sooner. The LDS tried to deal with him internally using an unlicensed therapist. This is EXACTLY how the Duggars in the Quiverfull movement dealt with their son's sexual predation. It's why these super insular communities with a distrust of "outsiders" including the police are a perfect hunting ground for sexual predators.
posted by miss-lapin at 3:03 PM on February 12 [3 favorites]

I just keep thinking they knew and allowed it to happen. And this is an easier story to tell her and themselves. Deny you knew anything, blame it on being naive. He slept in her bed for six months!
posted by valeries at 5:32 PM on March 11

« Older Movie: Horror Noire: A History...   |  Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: I Need To... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster