Dracula
May 6, 2019 5:55 PM - by Bram Stoker - Subscribe

Dracula is an 1897 Gothic horror novel by Irish author Bram Stoker.

It introduced the character of Count Dracula, and established many conventions of subsequent vampire fantasy. The novel tells the story of Dracula's attempt to move from Transylvania to England so that he may find new blood and spread the undead curse, and of the battle between Dracula and a small group of men and a woman led by Professor Abraham Van Helsing.

Dracula has been assigned to many literary genres including vampire literature, horror fiction, the gothic novel, and invasion literature.
posted by Fukiyama (2 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

This was way more fun than I expected. It’s kind of an 1800s technothriller.
posted by Monochrome at 6:03 PM on May 6 [2 favorites]

I first read this when i was ten or so. Dracula! Vampires and coffins and gothic horror! How did it go? Let's just say ten-year-old-I wasn't prepared for its epistolary nature, with letters, diaries, clippings, and memoranda (I didn't even know what that word meant) woven together to tell the story with their late Victorian vocabulary. I made it to the end, but I didn't get all there was to get out of it.

Almost thirty years later, I was much better prepared to make my way to Transylvania with Jonathan Harker at the start of the book. It really moved right along. There were definite moments where I was turning pages to see what would happen next. I agree, technothriller is an apt word.

One thing I was surprised by was all the things Dracula could do that don't survive into the modern conception of vampires. To be able to go about by day was really interesting. That did lead to not a little confusion on my part when when and why he would need to rest in his native earth. Just after feeding?

The end was really good with the chase from the Black Sea to Castle Dracula told from the various points of view and then the final confrontation where everyone came together to do their part. Everything was wrapped up and the forces of good overcame Dracula and his un-dead lady-vampires.

The Guardian in 2014 listed it as number 31 of the 100 best novels. That seems fair to me.
posted by Fukiyama at 6:16 PM on May 6 [3 favorites]

« Older iZombie: Thug Death...   |  Book: The Coming Plague... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster