The King's Affection: The King's Affection (all episodes)
December 15, 2021 6:45 PM - Season 1 (Full Season) - Subscribe

This 20-episode season just finished its Netflix streaming/Korean broadcast run this week.

Overall, I enjoyed this. Lavish costumes and a gorgeous cast, a nice mix of high drama angst and rom-com tropes.
posted by oh yeah! at 7:02 PM on December 15, 2021

I'm looking forward to watching this. Mainly because of Park Eun Bin but I also like Joseon royal family intrigue stories. Anyway, I haven't had time to catch the full episodes but it looks very engaging from the Instagram clips I've seen.
posted by plastic_animals at 7:42 PM on December 15, 2021

I think this was my first Park Eun Bin show (which is kind of a surprise considering how many shows are in her filmography and that she's been acting since she was 5, but I've only been watching kdramas for a couple of years now) but I liked her. And she and Rowoon were adorable together.

I feel like the very end was a little bit off or anticlimactic somehow, but that might be on me, in that I wasn't sure if I could trust in getting a satisfying finale and so held back my heart a bit. Pretty sure this was my first pure-sageuk; every other show I've seen with a Joseon Dynasty setting was only partially set there (via time travel like in 'Live Up To Your Name' or supernatural/reincarnation shenanigans like in 'Mystic Pop-Up Bar'), so I didn't know what kind of an ending to expect.
posted by oh yeah! at 3:35 PM on December 16, 2021

I’m halfway through the series, and it’s dragging... But do any of you know if there’s a Joseon-era kdrama tip sheet out there? I have so many questions in my brain as I watch this:
* What year is this supposed to be?
* Do the colors of the hat beads / robes / uniforms mean anything?
* How did they make those hats in the original era, and who gets to wear which kind of hat?
* What is the “left hand counselor” position?
* What are the exams that they keep mentioning?
* Is the king the only king in the realm, or are there other kings in different regions?
* Can you marry your cousin? Or are “cousins” more like distant cousins?

I can’t keep the old man characters straight, especially with the random flashbacks (like when did the grandpa king die, and which old man advisers are sided with whom?). But I like the love triangle characters, they are making it enjoyable overall.
posted by Maarika at 4:35 PM on December 31, 2021

I finished the series last night and am glad I pushed through - I think it had a lot of really lovely, romantic, angst-filled moments interspersed with cute comedy, but the political intrigue plot points were a real slog. I still have many questions about the era - I think I’ll try a time-travel Joseon Kdrama next!
posted by Maarika at 10:48 AM on January 16

« Older Podcast: Maintenance Phase: Th...   |  Movie: Silence... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments