Meet Cute (2022)
September 22, 2022 5:38 PM - Subscribe

A wildly inventive deconstruction of the romantic comedy built around the question: What would you do if you could travel to your loved ones' past, heal their traumas, fix their problems, and change them into the perfect partner?

This only has a 50% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes and it's not a time loop movie (it's a time travel movie!). Starring Kaley Cuoco and Pete Davidson.

Meet Cute trailer
posted by edencosmic (4 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I watched this because I will watch any movie with a time loop. It's not a time loop movie, though, since Shelia (Kaley Cuoco) chooses to time travel. I do think she and Pete Davidson have some good chemistry.

This movie isn't as smart or as insightful as I think it wants to be but I was pleasantly surprised. It's much darker than I expected, although in a way the movie doesn't really deal with, but whatever.

(The "twist" is pretty telegraphed early on because you've seen a movie before but it still works.)
posted by edencosmic at 5:41 PM on September 22

I heard some people complaining about a plot element where she goes back in time and has sex with the teenage virgin version of Davidson's character, so she'll be his first time. Does that really happen, and is it somehow less creepy than it sounds?
posted by Ursula Hitler at 8:25 PM on September 22

It happens in one of the timelines and no, it's not really less creepy, although I'd say it's meant to be. We just see the set-up and she does go back and stops it from happening in another timeline.
posted by edencosmic at 3:40 AM on September 23

I'm kind of amazed a movie would go there in 2022. It seems like a gag from an older movie that would turn up in a Buzzfeed or Cracked article with a title like 10 Scenes From Classic Romantic Comedies That Have NOT Aged Well.
posted by Ursula Hitler at 11:24 AM on September 23 [1 favorite]

« Older Movie: The Living Dead at Manc...   |  Los Espookys: Los Espiritus en... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster