Patriot: Dead Serious Rick Season 1, Ep 10
John's devotion to his father is tested as he returns to Luxembourg. Meanwhile, Agathe puts together some final evidence that may finally expose the truth about John.
Patriot: Dick Cheney Season 1, Ep 9
Edward has trouble with his brother's alibi while John is interrogated by Agathe. Leslie hears a last minute pitch from a surprise visitor about putting John back onto the travel team.
Patriot: L'Affaire Contre John Lakeman Season 1, Ep 8
Agathe's path intersects with Alice's as Agathe makes her way back to Milwaukee to investigate John. New intelligence gives Tom an advantage and greatly helps his plan in influencing the Iranian election.
Patriot: Hello, Is Charlie There? Season 1, Ep 7
John is a person of interest in Agathe's investigation as he returns to Milwaukee in a poor mental state. Stephen's recovery and promotion at McMillan prove to be bad news for the success of the mission.
Patriot: The Structural Dynamics of Flow Season 1, Ep 6
Agathe's case against John begins to mount while John undertakes a desperate attempt to get his father's plan back on track. Meanwhile, Leslie's hostility toward John reaches new heights.
Patriot: Un Monsieur Triste En Costume Season 1, Ep 5
John's effort to retrieve evidence brings him dangerously close to Agathe. Tom arrives in Luxembourg to help John catch his breath only to ask more of him.
Patriot: John's To-Do List 5/18/12 Season 1, Ep 4
Leslie seeks to lead John into failure with more work in Luxembourg. Meanwhile, John's real job becomes more demanding and urgent. To make things worse, an old friend of John's arrives.
Patriot: McMillan Man Season 1, Ep 3
Agathe Albans, the driven homicide detective, arrives in Milwaukee for an interview with Dennis. John desperately works to stay with the travel team in a last minute effort.
Patriot: C-19 Season 1, Ep 2
With the situation mounting in Iran, getting back to Luxembourg looks grim as John struggles to adjust to life and work in Milwaukee, while a driven homicide detective begins to build her case.
Patriot: Milwaukee, America Season 1, Ep 1
To prevent Iran from going nuclear, intelligence officer John Tavner must forgo all safety nets and assume a perilous non-official cover ("NOC") — that of a mid-level employee at a Milwaukee industrial piping firm. [more inside]
Jean-Claude Van Johnson: Pilot Season 1, Ep 1
Jean Claude Van Damme runs into an old flame and wants out of Retirement... but not out of the retirement we know him for. Watch one of the greatest 90s action stars to satirize himself in an unexpectedly entertaining action comedy. Get Ready to meet his secret identity Jean Claude Van Johnson. [more inside]
Lady Dynamite: Season 2 of Lady Dynamite Season 2, Ep 0
In season 2, Maria Bamford gets used to life as part of a couple, with stories being told in the present, in 1980s Duluth and THE FUTURE. Join us, won't you?
Steven, a charismatic surgeon, is forced to make an unthinkable sacrifice after his life starts to fall apart, when the behavior of a teenage boy he has taken under his wing turns sinister. [more inside]
Detectorists: Series 3 Episode 6 Season 3, Ep 6
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: The Favor Season 5, Ep 11
The second half of the midseason-finale double header! Official FOX synopsis: "When Seamus Murphy (guest star Paul Adelstein) returns to redeem the favor Holt owes him, the precinct searches for a loophole that will allow Holt to uphold his end of the bargain without breaking the law."
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Game Night Season 5, Ep 10
The first half of the midseason-finale double header! Official FOX synopsis: "Rosa begs Jake to help her break some big news to her parents, but her plan is thrown off when they wrongly assume the two are dating." (With special guest star Danny Trejo as Rosa's dad, as well as the long-awaited return of [SPOILER]!)
Detectorists: Series 3 Episode 5 Season 3, Ep 5
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: 99 Season 5, Ep 9
Official Fox synopsis: "While the precinct is in Los Angeles to attend a funeral, Capt. Holt learns that he has been chosen to run for Chief Commissioner of the NYPD."
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Thank You and Good Night Season 1, Ep 8
In the Season One finale, Midge and Susie deal with the repercussions of Midge's off-script takedown of a famous comedian. With tensions still high at the Weissman household, Rose makes some bold changes. Midge and Joel reunite for Ethan's birthday party.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Put That on Your Plate! Season 1, Ep 7
With Susie's help, Midge hones her act at the Gaslight. Abe surprises the women with a dinner guest, sending Rose into an emotional spiral. Working towards a promotion, Joel conjures up a new plan. Midge stirs up controversy after meeting a big-time comedian.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Mrs. X at the Gaslight Season 1, Ep 6
Midge finds a different kind of audience to perform for, much to Susie's chagrin. Abe gets offered the experience of a lifetime. The Weissmans come together for a family dinner. Susie finally shows off her management skills.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Doink Season 1, Ep 5
Midge dives into a new line of work and makes some quirky friends along the way. Susie continues her emphatic quest to keep Midge's career moving forward, but gets hit with a couple setbacks. Both Midge and Joel experience the downsides of their new lifestyles.
Midge begins to move on from her once perfect life. Susie shows Midge the ropes while going on a tour of New York comedy clubs. Rose takes a bit too much pleasure in Midge's new living arrangements
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Because You Left Season 1, Ep 3
After another arrest, Midge finds herself in legal trouble, forcing her to rely on Susie's street smarts. Abe approaches Moishe with an interesting proposition. Lenny Bruce offers some unconventional inspiration for Midge's act.<
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Ya Shivu v Bolshom Dome Na Kholme Season 1, Ep 2
Midge's life is in a tailspin in the wake of Joel leaving. Midge and Joel's parents butt heads while trying to keep their family together. Susie pushes Midge to get back on stage and find her voice.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Pilot Season 1, Ep 1
Midge Maisel has the perfect life. She is supportive of her husband's dream of becoming a stand up comic until he bombs on stage and blames her, leading Midge back to the comedy club and an act that might change her life. [more inside]
Detectorists: Series 3 Episode 4 Season 3, Ep 4
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Return to Skyfire Season 5, Ep 8
Official FOX synopsis: "When Terry’s favorite author, DC Parlov (guest star Fred Melamed), returns to the precinct because his latest manuscript was stolen, Terry and Jake convince Rosa to go undercover with them at a fantasy fiction convention to find the culprit. As drama ensues between Parlov and another writer (guest star Rob Huebel), Terry admits that he’s been writing a book of his own. Back at the precinct, Holt, Amy and Charles take a forensics course, but Charles’ big mouth gets him in trouble."
Detectorists: Series 3 Episode 3 Season 3, Ep 3
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Two Turkeys Season 5, Ep 7
Official FOX synopsis: "Jake and Amy attempt to get their parents to bond over Thanksgiving dinner, but their first holiday together as a family does not go well. Meanwhile, at the precinct, Holt and Kevin’s special Thanksgiving pie is stolen from his office and Holt searches through the ranks for the possible culprit."
Future Man: (Full season) Season 1, Ep 0
Josh Futturman is a lowly janitor at a pharma company who is obsessed with Bionic Wars, a game so hard nobody has come close to finish it. Until he does. [more inside]
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: The Venue Season 5, Ep 6
Official FOX synopsis: "The always unwelcome Vulture (guest star Dean Winters) pops back into Jake and Amy’s lives, threatening to swoop in and take something important away from them. Meanwhile, Boyle and Rosa must track down 'Sergeant Peanut Butter,' the kidnapped NYPD horse that Charles envies, and Holt challenges Terry to be less image-conscious."
Detectorists: Series 3 Episode 2 Season 3, Ep 2
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Bad Beat Season 5, Ep 5
Official FOX synopsis: To track down the infamous arms dealer Dan “Daniel” Valdano (guest star David Figlioli), Jake and Terry go undercover at an illegal gambling club, but when Holt gets involved to coach the two in the art of poker, his addiction resurfaces. Meanwhile, Boyle buys a food truck that was formerly used in a brutal string of murders without telling his investor, Amy, and Hitchcock and Scully challenge Rosa to a “Butt-lympics”.
Detectorists: Season 3 Episode 1 Season 3, Ep 1
Comedy series about two metal-detecting friends. Lance's flat isn't his own, Andy's stuck with the mother-in-law. The dark cloud of a solar farm threatens the tranquillity. [more inside]
Grace tries working for an obnoxious hotel mogul; Will is surprised at his reaction to making senior partner; Jack owns half of a winning lottery ticket.
Sarah Silverman has a new weekly talkshow on Hulu. It's pretty interesting. So far, the first two episodes both included segments where Sarah hangs out with a Trump-supporting family in the South. Those are kind of fascinating, and against all odds, it appeared that common ground was found. Obviously not on everything, but enough to make you hopeful. The third episode—just aired—is a lot more scripted. Except the Tig Nataro segment where Tig tries to learn how to chant like an auctioneer. Comedy gold. The rest gets kind of Fernwood Tonight, and by that I mean brilliant. [more inside]
An ordinary high school student discovers that his family has an unusual pedigree when he finds himself turning into a werewolf. [more inside]
Some jokes about Trump. A little crowd work. And then jokes related to his heartbreaking loss. [more inside]
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Kicks Season 5, Ep 3
Official FOX synopsis: "Now that he’s officially back at the precinct and desperate to solve a real case, Jake finds a loophole to get out of his temporarily designated desk duty. Unfortunately, that loophole rests on his ability to pass an official evaluation performed by Holt. While Charles provides Jake with moral support, Terry and Amy help Rosa, who believes Pimento may be cheating on her."
Will & Grace: Who's Your Daddy? Season 9, Ep 2
Will and Jack try to date younger guys but find it challenging; Grace and Karen experience a crisis that reveals Grace's true feelings about Karen.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: The Big House, Pt. 2 Season 5, Ep 2
Official FOX synopsis: "When the warden (guest star Toby Huss) asks Jake to investigate Romero’s (guest star Lou Diamond Phillips) drug smuggling operation, Jake and Caleb (guest star Tim Meadows) find themselves caught between the loyalty Jake has sworn to both of them. Meanwhile, Amy is offered a deal by a local mobster who claims he can prove that Hawkins (guest star Gina Gershon) is guilty, but Holt and the rest of the gang think they have a safer plan."
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Forensic Science Season 4, Ep 25
- Puerto Rico, where three million American citizens continue to deal with the destruction from Hurricane Maria, while President Trump and his administration both aggrandizes their efforts to help while demeaning them for needing help. The debacle comes at the end of a weak of failures by Trump and team. Trump also claims the Republicans' most recent attempt to ruin health care failed because a senator "was in the hospital." (No one was in the hospital.)
- Trump's efforts to pass tax reform, or as he himself calls it a massive tax cut, which the Tax Policy Center has determined would actually raise middle class taxes and accrue most of the benefits to the top 1% of taxpayers. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin dismisses those concerns, predictably.
- And Now: Guy Fieri Gives A Surprisingly Detailed Tour of His Favorite Place on Earth ("Flavortown.")
- Main story: the use of forensic evidence in the solving of crimes. While jurors are conditioned by shows like CSI to expect conclusive proof to come from forensic evidence, the National Research Council has stated that many "forensic sciences" don't meet the basic requirements to be called "science." Last Week Tonight produced a short promo for the show "CSI: Crime Scene Idiot." YouTube (19m)
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Corporate Consolidation Season 4, Ep 24
- Donald Trump criticizes NFL players for taking the knee during the National Anthem to protest the treatment of black people by police in the US, because there is no issue of which he won't take the wrong side.
- A couple of Trump administration officials came under fire for their use of costly private jet flights. Tom Price reportedly made 24 such flights at a combined cost to US taxpayers of $400,000. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, worth $300 million, made a request (later withdrawn) to use a government jet, along the way being snide to the entire state of Kentucky.
- And Now: A Preview of Megyn Kelly's New Morning Show. (Quote from Megyn Kelly saying she hopes her show can be a "unifying force.")
- And Now: A Look At The "Unifying Force" That Is Megyn Kelly. (A quick selection of clips of her time at Fox News being anything but.)
- Main Story: Corporate consolidation. As we're reminded by clips from 34 politicians, "small businesses are the backbone of our economy." Despite rhetoric, the rate at which small businesses have been created has been falling since the 1970s, perhaps because large businesses have been getting larger and larger. YouTube (15m)
- And Now: All of Jim Cramer's Sound Buttons, Replaced With Fart Noises
- Finally, part two of the tale of the unreasonably large train set Last Week Tonight made for Scranton, PA channel WNEP's backyard train set. The station refused LWT's gift because it was just too dang big. (They had suspected it might be, but figured it'd just be more fun to build the thing anyway.) The train didn't go to waste however; it now lives in the Lackawanna County Electric City Trolley Station & Museum.
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Joe Arpiao Season 4, Ep 23
Whew, what with hurricanes and stuff it's been a while! This episode is now a month old! Let's take a step back in time, to an age when we were, due to the aging effects of the Trump presidency, all several years younger:
- Trump's busy week. First he met with Congressional leaders to hammer out a deal to raise the "debt ceiling." (Suprisingly, Trump sided with the Democrats, giving them additional leverage in December when the time comes to make the deal again, and infuriating Republicans.) Then Trump gave the floor to his daughter Ivanka, annoying the further hell out of the Republicans (fortunately, they have an ample supply of hell to spare). No one seems to know why Trump did either of those things.
- Trump announces that he's ending Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA), putting the fate of 800,000 undocumented immigrants in immediate jeopardy, then immediately spins and says Congress should really get off their butts and do something about this tragic circumstance he created. Trump on why he did it: "Either we have a country, or we don't have a country."
- And Now: A Look At What the NFL Will, And Will Not, Tolerate (This relates to players taking the knee during the National Anthem. This was before Trump directly attacked players who did so, provoking a considerable backlash, with many more players joining the protest.)
- Main story: the (then) recently pardoned former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, his many horrible acts, his downfall, and why Trumps pardoning of him was an awful thing to do. YouTube (14m) Warning: segment includes footage of Arpaio painfully droning "My Way.")
- And Now: Joe Arpaio Singing Another Song With No Sense of Irony Whatsoever (the theme from Fame, aka "I'm Gonna Live Forever")
- Finally, Scranton, PA station WNEP mentioned Last Week Tonight's mentioning of them on the air for the strangely controversial backyard train set they run on-camera during the weather report. Prompted by this, LWT went and build a ridiculously large train set for them, to have. More on that in the next episode....
Brooklyn Nine-Nine: The Big House, Pt. 1 Season 5, Ep 1
Official FOX synopsis: "Jake and Rosa assimilate to their new lives behind bars, but both are coping in very different ways. Jake bonds with his cellmate, Caleb (guest star Tim Meadows), and is forced to join a prison gang led by notorious inmate Romero (guest star Lou Diamond Phillips), in order to gain his protection. Meanwhile, in the women’s prison, Rosa puts Holt and Terry to the test by having them complete outrageous favors for her. Back in the precinct, Amy and Charles are doing all they can to exonerate their colleagues." [more inside]
Nathan for You: A Celebration Season 4, Ep 1
Before the season premiere on September 28, Nathan revisits some of the people he's helped so far, including the ghost realtor and hero Corey Calderwood.
The world's top bodyguard gets a new client, a hit man who must testify at the International Court of Justice. They must put their differences aside and work together to make it to the trial on time. [more inside]
If Big Bang Theory were about pot, but with Kathy Bates, fake ads, animation, and PTSD. [more inside]
Two brothers attempt to pull off a heist during a NASCAR race in North Carolina. [more inside]