Travelers: Ave Machina
October 25, 2017 7:15 PM - Season 2, Episode 1 - Subscribe

Grant MacLaren and his team find themselves in FBI custody with no means of escape, while a mysterious new traveler reveals secrets to his psychiatrist.

*A new character, Vincent, reveals to his house-visiting psychiatrist (at his double-digit million dollar home in the West Point Grey area of Vancouver), that he is Traveler 0001 - the creator of the Traveler technology - who was sent back to alter the events of September 11, 2001. Instead of dying during events, he went rogue.
*Grant, Marsha, Philip, and Carly are in custody and stonewalling.
*Grant gets multiple grillings. "Destroy the device."
*Grace and Trevor get emergency trauma surgery.
*David is in custody and being questioned about the murderated corpse in his apartment
*Walt gets flack (and loses his badge) for shooting Carly's teenaged Travelerated assassin.
*Vincent further reveals how his market foreknowledge profiteering racket led to romance.
*The insane 'crazy on the face of it' of the team's composition gets hammered on. Everyone gets a slice of grilling.
*... and coordinate an escape attempt through their internal comm devices.
*Only to discovery that it was a ruse.
*Trevor's out of the woods, but may be parapalegic.
*Enrico Colantoni chews scenery and states that there is (an) AI in (a) future who callously disregards past lives and is willing to Travelerate messengers indiscriminatorily - and that its/they are out to get him. His therapist doesn't understand what that means, either.
*New rule explains why only creepy children have so far been seen as the medium for "voice messages to the past."
*The Team's comm implants are allowed to stay implanted; even after the feebs found the comm device in Trevor(? or Grace?) and let Grant know about it.
*The Team opts to "burn their modems." (?)
*David returns home to a stain. Whether the carpet was affected isn't revealed.
*Vincent/Colantoni recalls when he was forced into revealing his secret to his frontman partner.
*The Blinkenmaschine AI that's in custody with the feebs gets it's day.
*Vincent tries to (professionally) retain his therapist.
*Grace is good! And tries to medically help Trevor with future tech. "You've lived longer than any other human in history, and you're complaining?" and "I stepped in front of you. Remember?!"
*All those feebs drawn to the blinkenlights? Yeah.
*Vincent's therapist rethinks her skepticism.
*The Team's good to go for another season, Carly does a mild human submission display to Grant.
*Marsha returns to David's place. For a split second, I thought that Marsha would do a Swayze/Moore Ghost pottery wheel thing, only with a scrub brush and a blood stain.
*Enrico Colantoni is the villain behind the team getting kidnapped last season.
posted by porpoise (12 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

oh yeah!, I'm neither usurping nor volunteering to take over posting episode threads/summaries. If anything, it's only a "Hi Season 2!" You're so very good at these, and after doing one inspired/loosely-similar to yours, yeah, I realize now that it takes a goodly chunk of work to do well.
posted by porpoise at 7:26 PM on October 25

It isn't available in the US yet?! Argh.
posted by Pronoiac at 8:30 PM on October 25

Ok - it looks like it's showing in Canada on Showcase eith a season finale December 23, and that's when it lands on Netflix. I'll drop this from my activity until then.

(Sorry about the whinging.)
posted by Pronoiac at 8:42 PM on October 25

(Oh shoot! So sorry, I had no idea there were region embargoes for anything anymore [other than SNL]. I'll stop posting episodes.) /Canadian
posted by porpoise at 8:52 PM on October 25

Oops, that wasn't to say you shouldn't make posts! I'm sure Canadians and other people want to discuss this. There just might not be too much discussion for a while.

The pacing of Fanfare posts for weekly shows is less complicated than Netflix shows, too.
posted by Pronoiac at 11:06 PM on October 25 [1 favorite]

omg yes season 2! uuugh we gotta wait till Dec. 23!
posted by numaner at 7:51 AM on October 26 [1 favorite]

Hmmm. I feel like if the entire FBI department got Travelered that puts Grant on easy mode for maintaining his cover, while Trevor's still stuck in high school (presumably.)
posted by tautological at 11:26 PM on October 27

My understanding is that Vincent was sent to the WTC specifically not to change anything but to send a confirmation and then perish.
posted by Marticus at 3:36 PM on October 29

Yes. I agree. he was supposed to go into the body of the stock broker and then die in the collapse. Odd that he decided to be selfish and survive, having taken the life of an innocent. doesn't seem to necessarily fit the profile of the future peeps working on the travelers program, especially the first ones. but then again the M.O. now seems to be just take over whomever is nearby and screw the consequences.
I have to say that I was not impressed with this episode.
First off, casting the FBI guy with a guy who played a baddie in the Continuum seems lazy.
Secondly, the whole let's just travelerize an entire FBI branch seems wildly out of character with the stealth mode of season 1. if the crew didn't get the job done why not go back and send another crew to the original time of season 1 and try again?
I guess this is just the way poorly thought out time paradox stories work now.
posted by OHenryPacey at 10:08 AM on October 30

Ah, sorry, I missed that. Yes, I believe he was sent to 9/11 specifically to confirm that the tech works (send an electronic message that could be retrieved in the future) and to perish (the broker he took over would have died regardless, so still consistent with only taking over people who were going to imminently perish).

I think that the disregard for changing the future/not taking the lives of someone who wasn't imminently going to do has been "snowballing" since those soldiers got Travelerated into turning on the laser and destroying the meteoroid.

Travelerating basically an entire FBI department has got to change the future's past pretty significantly (unless something very drastic happened in the very near future and, like, 98% of everyone perishes anyway, and the only changes that could happen would be less bad result than what did happen [in the frame of the entity indiscriminately Travelerating people in the past]).).

The interesting thing is why that is the case. Does it have to do with changing history? Changing the AI/director? I'm not sure it's merely being lazy/poorly thought out; Vincent's stalker is totally willing to kill innocents/change the future - does this behaviour occur before or after the meteoroid strike was averted/Shelter 41 no longer exists [in our frame]?

Victor was the (main?) inventor and first Traveler and the MO of not severing lives carried over to the Team's MO of not severing lives. Maybe there are multiple camps or the AI has diverged into different entities (the original AI is now in the present, future AI is a monster/98% scenario)?
posted by porpoise at 4:49 PM on October 31

I guess it's possible there are two (or more) possible futures now with different Directors who are sending people back from their respective timelines, and that's why there's still rival organizations? I'm not sure the show makes that much sense, though.
posted by tautological at 9:58 PM on October 31

New rule explains why only creepy children have so far been seen as the medium for "voice messages to the pas

Perhaps I am missing something here since I am US based and haven’t seen this ep yet, but didn’t this get explicitly explained in S1 as being that kids, with more malleable not yet fully formed brains, could be used this way without permanent damage?
posted by phearlez at 8:25 PM on November 1

« Older Me, Myself and I: Family Tree...   |  Movie: The LEGO Ninjago Movie... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments