Supernatural: The Executioner's Song
February 19, 2015 11:16 PM - Season 10, Episode 14 - Subscribe

Yay! Timothy Omundson as Cain is finally back, and he's killing other killers!

Aaaaand he's dead. Or is he? We don't actually see the death, so either this was a rare moment of stylistic restraint or Cain might be showing up again. Given the nature of the show, I'd say that's about 50/50.

I was a bit disappointed to see Cain, who seemed like he could be an interesting morally ambiguous sometime ally, go full on villain. However, this was the first full on story arc episode that I've enjoyed this season.
posted by brundlefly (6 comments total)

I haven't seen it yet but your intro has evoked this in me:

*shrieks gleefully into fists*
posted by Kitteh at 6:56 AM on February 20, 2015

Timothy Omundson was so, so good this episode.

Also enjoyed how he (and by extension, the writers) totally called out the story-of-Cain-in-reverse thing Dean might be doing. But didn't negate it as a possibility!

I am still not loving the Crowley's overbearing mum plotline. But there was so much great Timothy Omundson in this episode it was easy to get past that. Here's hoping he's not dead! (Or at least not gone forever, even if he is dead...it's Supernatural, after all.)
posted by mstokes650 at 11:41 AM on February 20, 2015

Given that I'm mostly aware of Omundson from Psychic and Deadwood, I find it amazing how well he pulls off an utter badass. So imposing.

Also, I just looked at his Wiki page and realized that he was in Starship Troopers for a couple of seconds.

And yeah, the Crowley's mom subplot is so annoying, which is a bummer because I dig that actress. It's just not fun watching the usually canny Crowley be such a sucker.
posted by brundlefly at 12:11 PM on February 20, 2015 [1 favorite]

I've generally enjoyed the last few episodes and I had to raise my fist when Dean claimed something to the like, "I just like being on the road and hunting down monsters." My inner Supernatural fan shouted, "PLEASE LET US RETURN TO MORE OF THIS!"

I definitely enjoyed Cain's return because he's a great character with an awesome actor behind him. However, the moment that struck me most was when Dean handed the Blade of Cain to Castiel and told Crawley that he had been lied to twice that day. You could almost see the King of Hell's heart break and it was surreal, because it was almost as if this was Demon "The Dick" Dean back again, but instead of focusing on someone we know Dean should have cared about, it was someone we know he wouldn't.

They have succeeded so well in making Crawley sympathetic that one has to recall how he methodically hunted down people the Winchesters' had saved and killed them, or any number of the horrible things he's done, to not go, "Poor Crawley!" I do think Crawley will end up doing something quite terrible to his mum.
posted by Atreides at 8:16 AM on February 22, 2015

We certainly haven't seen Crowley torturing anyone lately. Lately it's all "Lonely Girl" and his favorite pic of him and Dean in cowboy hats.

But I thought the way Dean told him he'd been lied to twice seemed just... honest for once, and not overtly dickish. He didn't have to tell Crowley that Crowley wasn't actually on Cain's hit list.
posted by tomboko at 9:19 AM on February 22, 2015 [1 favorite]

I will be heartbroken, HEARTBROKEN, if Cain is truly dead. I loved his weary unrepentant attitude towards, well, everyone.

I feel the same way about Crowley and his mum's storyline as that of the Iris/Barry storyline in The Flash: Do. Not. Want.

Also, I do not know how Timothy Omundson pulls off that look but oh my god he looks amazing.
posted by Kitteh at 10:32 AM on February 24, 2015 [1 favorite]

« Older Podcast: TLDR: #46 - Episode ...   |  Archer: Nellis... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments