The Stone Sky
August 31, 2017 7:49 AM - by N. K. Jemisin - Subscribe

The shattering conclusion to the post-apocalyptic and highly acclaimed New York Times bestselling trilogy that began with The Fifth Season, winner of the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2016, and The Obelisk Gate, winner of the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2017.
posted by dinty_moore (12 comments total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I was a little disappointed in this.
posted by Ivan Fyodorovich at 8:01 AM on August 31

I just started it, and have to admit it starts pretty slowly.
posted by OHenryPacey at 8:04 AM on August 31

Overall, I liked it as much as the Fifth Season, if not moreso. I hadn't done a reread of the Obelisk Gate or the Fifth Season since last year, so I had a little bit of trouble remembering where everyone was at first, but that faded quickly.

I'd also forgotten that Nassun was only ten. Jeez. The first couple of Nassun chapters were my stopping points, though I got more invested after a while.

Jemisin really likes having perpetual boy-childs that are thousands of years old have an uncomfortable relationship with a mother figure.

The backstory reveal wasn't too earth shattering, but I still liked that it was explicitly made clear.

After the maps discussion, I was more irritated at the map in this book, since it's left over from the Fifth Season and doesn't really tell us where anything that's mentioned in this book is.
posted by dinty_moore at 8:06 AM on August 31 [4 favorites]

I thought this was fabulous. Going into it, I had no idea how things would actually wrap up (well, a vague idea that the Earth-Moon System would be restored, but no idea of the details). Coming out of it, I had a very, very strong feeling that it couldn't possibly have ended any other way.

Minor touch that I really loved: The way that the Syl Anagist chapter numbers served as a countdown.

Other thing I loved: The way that, in The Obelisk Gate, Alabaster gets into this scifi-sounding description of something that sounds like nanomachines but then he swerves and tells Essun that it's called "magic". And then, in this book, we see that the Syl Anagistines have built this crazy scifi world out of this "magic", despite not being able to interact with it directly.
posted by tobascodagama at 8:58 AM on August 31 [4 favorites]

* Agree on the map
* I reread Obelisk Gate then immediately started reading this and it was a bit too much. I had to take a break for a while.
* I enjoyed learning more about Hoa. It's impressive that he retained so much humanity for so long.
* Can we get a spin off just about lorists? Please??? I'm upset that Danel didn't do much in the end because I was totally into her idea of recording history while it's being made.
* Like in GoT, it's hard for me to keep in mind that Nassun is so young. I want to age her up.
posted by tofu_crouton at 9:58 AM on August 31 [1 favorite]

My two minor disappointments were that:

a) The map did not change to show the Rifting.
b) The glossary and list of Seasons in The Stone Sky did not get updated and messed with like in the backmatter at the end of The Kingdom of the Gods.

But, as I understand it, Jemisin came extremely close to missing her deadlines on The Stone Sky as it was, so that's probably why neither of those things happened.

Can we get a spin off just about lorists? Please??? I'm upset that Danel didn't do much in the end because I was totally into her idea of recording history while it's being made.

Yes, totally! Narratively, I'm glad the finale was so much about just Essun and Nassun and their reunion. And I don't think there is any kind of epilogue that could have been added on other than the one the book actually had with Hoa and StoneEater!Essun. But I'd love to read more.

Maybe Jemisin will revisit some of these characters in (another) short story later on, but her new project based on "The City Born Great" sounds incredible, so I guess I can wait until after that.
posted by tobascodagama at 11:27 AM on August 31

I really want to see a Studio Ghibli rendering of Syl Anagist, particularly the vehimals.
posted by esker at 12:29 PM on August 31 [2 favorites]

That paragraph near the end of the first chapter is really really good:

Say nothing to me of innocent bystanders, unearned suffering, heartless vengeance. When a comm builds atop a fault line, do you blame its walls when they inevitably crush the people inside? No; you blame whoever was stupid enough to think they could defy the laws of nature forever. Well, some worlds are built on a fault line of pain, held up by nightmares. Don’t lament when those worlds fall. Rage that they were built doomed in the first place.

At first, when I got to the reveal of the true nature of the Briar Patch, I thought "Come on! No one would allow such a cartoonishly evil system to be built." And then, almost immediately, I thought about the factories where iPhones are built and the working conditions of illegal immigrants, and decided that if our society will accept cartoonishly evil systems, why wouldn't theirs?

And, of course, it makes me wonder when the shake is coming.
posted by JDHarper at 6:13 PM on August 31 [5 favorites]

I haven't read much of the commentary around this series, so has Jemisin already answered if this is "future Earth" or "alternate universe Earth"?

It's clearly Earth, you have one moon and horses and so on. Actually the horses threw me off, I was like, would they really have survived? Or goats? Giant sometimes-carnivorous weasel-things, ok.

Generally with her books, though, I've found that I get sucked in by the characters enough that the holes in the worldbuilding only nag at me a little.
posted by emjaybee at 11:37 AM on September 1

I haven't read much of the commentary around this series, so has Jemisin already answered if this is "future Earth" or "alternate universe Earth"?

I don't think she has, quite. Like with the whole "magic" thing I mentioned above, I personally really enjoy the ambiguity of it. Her description of Yumenes sounds like a modern city... but it isn't. Her description, in this book, of Syl Anagist at first sounds like a modern megalopolis of densely-interconnected cities, like the LA-San Diego corridor (and the shadow of a rhyme there is surely intentional)... but it isn't.

Personally, I like to take the stuff about magic and the Evil Earth at face value, so in my mind this is an alternate universe kind of situation where the planet itself is literally alive and magic literally exists. I think the artifact Houwha describes in Syl Anagist that violates the conservation of energy is a strong hint in this direction. But, then, we only have Houwha's subjective experience to rely on as "proof", so maybe that's just an artifact of the way his mind synthesised the inputs he was receiving from his sessapinae...
posted by tobascodagama at 1:16 PM on September 1 [2 favorites]

As for how horses would have survived:

a) they're useful, so they would have been husbanded by the survivors after all of the Obelisk-powered technology failed
b) maybe they're not horses as we know them but the descendants of some genegineered species that derived from horses and are similar enough that everybody still calls them that
posted by tobascodagama at 1:18 PM on September 1

She has explicitly confirmed that it is not a future of our Earth. I suppose you could argue that many fantasies are alternate-Earths, though.
posted by inconstant at 11:09 AM on September 8 [1 favorite]

« Older Book: Schrodinger's Cat Trilog...   |  Movie: What Happened to Monday... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster