Fall 2017 anime season
October 8, 2017 6:21 PM - Subscribe

Stand up and blab: What anime this season are you watching, or wanna watch, or wanna avoid, or wanna hatewatch?

AniChart's table of the fall 2017 season.

Anime Feminist isn't providing a roundup of the fall season previews, but they've been knocking out reviews of a lot of first episodes, so I recommend checking those out.
posted by ardgedee (14 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

So far we haven't seen much, but...

The new season of Blood Blockade Battlefront (Kekkai Sensen & Beyond) opened with nonstop action and apocalyptic levels of violence and yet it somehow felt lacking. Maybe the director wants to grab viewers with a bang and not get to business until the second episode, we'll see. Despite having a cheaper, less atmospheric production and a less satisfying soundtrack, it's still good popcorn-and-pizza viewing so I'm willing to stick with it.

Love is Like a Cocktail (Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte Kara)... I can't quite tell after one episode whether I'll like this or not. The premise is straightforward: The wife comes home from her office job, the husband fixes her a cocktail, she gets drunk and cute and silly. It would be harder to take if the episodes were more than five minutes long, since -- unusual for a food series -- the focus is primarily on the wife acting drunk rather than on the drink of the week.

We watched Urahara with extremely low expectations, since it ticks most of the boxes of things we hate in anime, but. I think each of us remarked to the other at some point during the first episode, "I want to hate this, but I'm failing." The deliberately sketchy, blobby art style that hearkens to fan animation and 1970s-era freehand ink-drawn commercial art does a lot to help set it apart from everything else on offer. So maybe there's hope for the "Cute girls winning the universe at cuteness by being cute, and also there are cute aliens" genre.
posted by ardgedee at 6:37 PM on October 8

I'll watch the continuations of Love Live Sunshine and Yuuki Yuuna, and at least try out the new Idolm@ster, but I haven't heard anything too exciting about any of the new stuff so far. Probably take a look at Houseki no Kuni sometime.
posted by one for the books at 8:57 AM on October 9

Yeah, I would be all over Love is Like a Cocktail if it was at all educational, like Oishinbo or Dagashi Kashi for mixed drinks.

The one that has convinced me with one episode is the Ancient Magus' Bride.
posted by RobotHero at 9:19 AM on October 9

Kino no Tabi is looking good. First Ep was basically a weird pro 2nd amendment episode. Next up is Colosseum, so I donno how many episodes will be shared, but it seems like a non-zero number.

Otherwise, a bunch of shonen. Juuni Taisen maybe?
posted by pwnguin at 1:43 AM on October 11

I enjoyed the first episode of Blood Blockade Battlefront, but it's missing something compared to the first season, maybe due to the change in director (Rie Matsumoto is not the director this season).

I rather liked the first episode of Recovery of an MMO Junkie, but am watching with some trepidation, as it has the potential to go from pleasant watch to unwatchable non-stop fan service.

I am looking forward to the second season of 3-gatsu no Lion. On that note here's Bump of Chicken's "Fighter" pre-dating its use in the anime.
posted by needled at 1:04 PM on October 12

Here's Anime Feminist's full preview roundup, with summaries of each show('s premiere) and links to fuller descriptions, preceded by a lengthy discussion of what their reviews do or do not try to achieve.
posted by one for the books at 5:24 PM on October 13

Something to look forward to in December, assuming the official channels release a subtitled version promptly: Thunderbolt Fantasy Gaiden: Life Or Death Sword.* I have no idea if it'll make any sense whatsoever if you hadn't seen the first series, but considering how crazy the first series is that might not matter anyway. *(I guessed at that by hacking around in Google Translate; I have no idea how the title will be officially translated.) There's also a placeholder on the website for a second TV season, which is also going to be worth anticipating.

If you haven't seen the first series, which aired last fall, make an effort to. It's one of the most over-the-top things I've seen, so don't worry about what's going on, just relax and drink in the eye candy.
posted by ardgedee at 4:12 PM on October 14

Interesting that Thunderbolt Fantasy is getting a second series. I loved many things about that show, the great characters, the over-the-top wardrobe, the semi-coherent plot, the hilarious deus ex machina -- but I could not get over the immobility of the characters. When they spoke, instead of lips moving, the entire puppet bounced up and down, which is just not convincing. I suppose it worked in Punch and Judy shows, where the average viewer was twenty feet back from the stage, dodging horse-drawn carriages, and couldn't see anything anyway, but it's not right for TV.

I did watch the show to the end. I will try TF Gaiden, and hope that lip flap technology has improved.
posted by Slithy_Tove at 6:56 AM on October 15

I didn't find the minimal lip movement in Thunderbolt Fantasy to be distracting, probably because there was so much else is going on visually.

I think even with improved lip flap technology getting lip movement to match the dubbing would be difficult - from what I recall when I was reading up on Taiwanese glove puppetry, all the characters are voiced by a male narrator / voice actor, and in the case of Pili productions a Chinese dialect prevalent in Taiwan is used. Typically the voice work is done before shooting the scenes with puppets, to better synchronize the two. For Thunderbolt Fantasy, the Japanese language dubbing happened after shooting and recording in the dialect had been done. So there was no avoiding the Japanese voice acting not quite matching even the minimal lip movement of the puppets.
posted by needled at 8:51 AM on October 15

> lip flap technology

Yeah, I think it's partly because the mouth movements are synchronized for the Chinese dub, not the Japanese dub. And partly because they're basically handheld marionettes with solid heads, so trying to engineer mouths with sufficient movement will mean having the sort of detached jaw that cheap ventriloquist dolls use and that would be even more of a visual disruption. I found the mouth movements distracting for a while, but only for a while. There was usually too much else going on to care, but I definitely get what's bugging you about them.
posted by ardgedee at 10:32 AM on October 15

Recovery of an MMO Junkie seems like it could have so many problems, but so far it's so much better than I expected. Like--I was never an MMO player but I had my own online RPG stuff, and a lot of my friends are current or former WoW or other kinds of serious gamers, and a lot of it feels almost excruciatingly authentic. And adorable. And improbable. Did they just pitch an entire show for the very specific demographic of women gamers in their 30s? It could go south, but I'm at this point feeling really good about it. I don't think it's going to wind up saying anything particularly deep about gender, but it effectively captures the very mundane weirdness of presenting as a different gender on the internet. Het romance usually isn't my thing, but I'm here for this one.
posted by Sequence at 11:03 AM on October 16

Don't bring a trombone flamethrower to a gun fight.
posted by RobotHero at 1:45 PM on October 20

Recovery of an MMO Junkie continues being cute. I am really appreciating the depiction of the main character - how many female protagonists in their 30s does one see in TV anime? Despite the plot contrivances MoriMori as a character rings true emotionally.

Garo: Vanishing Line is a train wreck and watching to see how much worse it can get. Also because I have this inexplicable fascination with the Garo franchise.

Code: Realize sports some amazing visuals - costume design, the steampunk London with giant gears everywhere. Plot and characters seem pretty humdrum so far, though.

Don’t have opinion on Ancient Magus Bride as fall 2017 anime, having already seen the three episodes released over the summer (at the time I thought it would be an occasional episode released type of project) and followed the original manga prior to that.

TsukiPro the animation is my guilty pleasure pick - there’s nothing redeeming about it, even the music is terrible, but the male idol stage outfits and hairstyles are extremely entertaining.
posted by needled at 6:57 AM on October 22

It's from the Summer season, but I've just plowed through Made in Abyss and oh my god. Stunning soundtrack.
posted by lucidium at 9:27 AM on October 22

« Older What have you been reading/wat...   |  Dirty John podcast ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments