Succession: Succession
August 3, 2018 11:15 AM - Season 1 (Full Season) - Subscribe

With machiavellian characters and sharp dialogue, this show from The Thick of It writer Jesse Armstrong has everything you hope to see in a mega-rich family
posted by jouke (7 comments total)

Oh I love this series. It's funny and sad and you hate almost everyone and Brian Cox looks and behaves so much like my dad in this that it's sometimes quite distressing.

The bachelor party episode was probably my favorite. Although the "family therapy" episode in Arizona is a close second.

Also I will watch anything with Matthew Macfadyen in it.
posted by biscotti at 3:49 PM on August 3 [1 favorite]

Yeah, this show is so good. At the beginning, I was worried that they would eventually insist that we root for one of these monsters.* I was also a little worried that, as with literary fiction, slogging through all the unlikable characters** might be off-putting. Neither of these things happened!*** These people are so, so awful and their suffering is so funny.

Matthew MacFadyen is incredible here. I feel like the only real ending for his character is suicide in the most embarrassing fashion possible, but I hope that doesn't happen until the series finale because he's too good to lose yet.

*I'm rooting for Greg, a little.
**And I kind of like Geri.
***Actually, much like with Wendi Deng Murdoch, I'm reluctantly impressed with the mercenary she-devils that Logan marries.
posted by grandiloquiet at 1:14 PM on August 4

I should also say -- though she's far less funny than some other characters -- I've been blow away by how good Sarah Snook is as Shiv. Kieren Culkin is less compelling, though his character might be to blame for that. It's probably impressive that they managed to make Roman and Connor so thoroughly awful. I think the actors could've played up the charm a little for these roles, and the show would've been worse for it.
posted by grandiloquiet at 1:17 PM on August 4

I actually really like the depth Jeremy Strong manages to bring to bring to Kendall. He makes you actually care about him at least a little (also the bit with him doing drugs in Arizona was awesome).
posted by biscotti at 1:58 PM on August 4

The Arizona episode was also the only episode where Roman was remotely decent or surprising (surprising because he was decent).

It took me a long time to notice the Ken-Doll framing of Kendall's name, but it can't be coincidence.
posted by grandiloquiet at 3:59 PM on August 4 [1 favorite]

I clicked on it because I thought it would be a one season modern King Lear, but I knew I was going to love it when I saw that ridiculous headline in the opening credits. Why are so many of our older celebrities dying? It's perfect.
posted by betweenthebars at 7:31 PM on August 5 [1 favorite]

The finale was awesome. Seeing Logan put the smackdown on Kendall so exquisitely, and seeing Kendall know exactly what his dad was doing, seeing he was completely outmaneuvered thanks to his own selfishness and stupidity (and his dad's experience and opportunism)...damn.

And Shiv and Tom.

Perfect.
posted by biscotti at 11:33 AM on August 8

« Older Cloak & Dagger: Colony Collaps...   |  Wynonna Earp: Colder Weather... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments