Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018)
November 5, 2018 6:14 PM - Subscribe

When Lee Israel falls out of step with current tastes, she turns her art form to deception. An adaptation of the memoir Can You Ever Forgive Me?, the true story of best-selling celebrity biographer Lee Israel.
posted by latkes (3 comments total)

I just adored this movie about real people being crap at life but just so worthy of love all the same. It was so lovingly specific, about New York, about queer culture in the early 90s, about dykes, and fags, and AIDS, about bullshit jobs and creativity and everything. So many delightful performances (I didn't even know it was Jane Curtain till the credits, but what a deliciously meaty little part that was!) Watching a movie fully about a woman, an unlikeable woman, who did bad shit, was a delight. Watching a movie about real queers, that was wholeheartedly queer, but that wasn't about their queerness, was a balm. I just loved this movie!

Melissa McCarthy really beautifully walked the line of making a deeply flawed character seem real but sneakily making her oh so charming. I just loved the scene where her ex is basically like, "Uh, no, I am not here for your shit", and as an audience we definitely agree with her, but we still like Lee Israel.

My one 'beef' I guess is that the real Lee Israel must have very much been a deeply New York Jew, and my wife was complaining that McCarthy's farm-girl midwest accent did not come across as New York, but she was just so damned charming in this I can't really complain. OK, I guess my only actual complaint was, was that a weird wig?? But otherwise, a total delight.
posted by latkes at 6:24 PM on November 5 [3 favorites]

Re: the wig, if you mean McCarthy's wig, I literally JUST NOW finished reading a whole review of that wig (well, of the film, via the wig) on the wonderful Wig Wurq tumblr (motto: "Judging pop culture's wigs from lace fronts to split ends.")

https://wigwurq.tumblr.com/post/179828463740/wig-review-can-you-ever-forgive-me

Recommended! And I am really looking forward to seeing the movie.
posted by theatro at 11:00 AM on November 6 [4 favorites]

So glad you posted that! OK, I guess I can grudgingly give the wig a little respect now, but come on Melissa, just cut your hair. It grows back!!
posted by latkes at 11:17 AM on November 6

« Older Podcast: Everything is Alive: ...   |  Arrow: Level Two... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster