ContraPoints?
November 15, 2018 10:04 AM - Subscribe

I'm wondering if there's interest in discussing the ContraPoints YouTube videos and, secondarily, how it'd fit on FanFare.

I'm slowly working my way through ContraPoints and it is phenomenal. It's come up on the Blue a few times, most recently this week. But nothing much about specific episodes. I'm now working my way through the episodes and would love to have someone to talk to about them.

I guess my main question is whether people would be interested in talking about ContraPoints episodes on Metafilter. I imagine we have a lot of ContraPoints fans here, any interest?

There's also some structural challenges. ContraPoints doesn't fit in any of the FanFare categories exactly, but it's close enough to a podcast maybe that'd do. Also I'd really like to talk about the back catalog but Fanfare doesn't do well with a giant dump of posts all at once. Maybe start with the next new episode and then slowly backfill?

(FWIW there are some ContraPoints communities already, at least there's a a subreddit that seems reasonably moderated. But Reddit seldom has thoughtful conversations.. Is there any place specifically for Patreon funders or something else a bit more highbrow? Maybe here would be a good place.)
posted by Nelson (10 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Pick one that you want to talk about? “The Aesthetic” was a bit (OK, a lot) close to the bone for some trans people though, so maybe tread a little carefully for that one?
posted by pharm at 12:49 PM on November 15 [1 favorite]

(I agree that the reddit seems good - it’s moderated with zero-tolerance for people pissing about as far as I can tell.)
posted by pharm at 12:50 PM on November 15

I’m in! (Just as long as we don’t have to talk about the mouthfeel.)
posted by haltingproblemsolved at 1:14 PM on November 15

I would follow this in order.
posted by zeek321 at 4:40 PM on November 15

IMHO the two most recent episodes (Aesthetic and Pronouns) have been pretty bad. I don't think CP's trans theory/politics are in a very good place right now, and she's saying shit about identification and performance that are kinda wrong, and harmful. Her next video probably won't be about gender but I dread the next one that will be.

I'm not saying don't post them, just: danger Will Robinson. It might be worth noting that the Aesthetic was heavily criticized by trans and nonbinary people. and Pronouns is partially a response to that criticism, which might make posting in backwards order awkward.
posted by fleacircus at 1:37 AM on November 17

FanFare doesn’t recognize “ContraPoints” as the name of any TV show in IMDB, and the RSS feed from YouTube “doesn't appear to be a podcast feed. Please check the URL.” Looks like this might take a pony request.
posted by haltingproblemsolved at 8:22 PM on November 17

Count me in as one who would request that pony.
posted by Reclusive Novelist Thomas Pynchon at 3:40 PM on November 19

Thanks for all the feedback. Having raised the topic I think I'm going to back out of actually setting it into motion. There's not quite the enthusiastic response here I was hoping for. And I don't feel personally knowledgeable enough to frame a conversation about the more complicated parts of Natalie's work, like the episodes fleacircus referred to.

OTOH the next episode is rumored to be about Climate Change, a topic I suspect won't be nearly as fraught as gender identity. Maybe it would be a good place to start?
posted by Nelson at 4:41 PM on November 19 [1 favorite]

I say do it! I like Contrapoints a lot -- just, not the last two videos.
posted by fleacircus at 6:46 AM on November 20

« Older Romanian New Wave...   |  Pony Idea: TV Episode Ranges... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments