Fleabag: Episode 1
March 5, 2019 1:56 PM - Season 2, Episode 1 - Subscribe

The eponymous Fleabag returns, joining an uncomfortable family dinner to celebrate Godmother and Dad’s engagement. Alongside familiar faces - uptight sister Claire and her alcoholic husband Martin - Fleabag finds herself intrigued by Godmother’s new priest. The evening comes to a tempestuous end, however, when an unexpected attack brings old tensions bubbling to the surface
posted by pharm (7 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Content warning: Miscarriage.

Plus disfunctional family relationships (obviously).
posted by pharm at 1:57 PM on March 5

Aaaaugh I don't wanna wait for May for it to arrive over here.
posted by rewil at 8:03 AM on March 6

Is it not out in the US yet? Maybe I shouldn't post episodes then.
posted by pharm at 10:26 AM on March 6

Very promising start, I thought. If anyone can pull off the near-impossible task of living up to Fleabag series 1, Waller-Bridge is the one to do it.

The Guardian has a (spoiler-filled) review of the new episode. "Faith v Fleabag. Sacred v profane. The hallowed v the unholy fuckup," it concludes. "Good luck, God. You’re going to need it."
posted by Paul Slade at 4:13 AM on March 8 [1 favorite]

The tease with the blood at the beginning & the miscarriage later on was definitely one of those “is she /really/ going there?” moments. But she veers off somewhere else instead, and the miscarriage is something heart-breaking & human in the midst of everything else. I don’t know how I would have felt about it if I’d actually had a miscarriage though.

The whole episode felt like a stage play in some ways - that tight, almost claustrophobic circle of them all round the dinner table, trapped there with each other.
posted by pharm at 7:03 AM on March 8

Well, the whole Fleabag project started life as a stage play, of course. I see PW-B is is reviving the original one-woman show in New York right now.
posted by Paul Slade at 8:37 AM on March 8 [1 favorite]

This show is so good and this was an amazing entry. Shocking and hilarious and devastating. The “because it doesn’t matter” moment? 😮

Been watching Andrew Scott’s Hamlet on and off and giggled and clapped to see him at the table.
posted by supercres at 10:42 AM on March 9 [1 favorite]

« Older Book: Foxglove Summer...   |  Young Justice: Season Two - In... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster