Good Girls: Season Two
March 6, 2019 9:41 AM - Season 2 (Full Season) - Subscribe

We pick up a few hours after where the first season left off, but quickly return to find out what happened in the standoff between Beth and Rio, with Dean's life hanging in the balance.

Good Girls airs on NBC in the U.S. and streams on Hulu. Season One is available on Netflix.
posted by Etrigan (19 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Annie, start using your peephole! I know you're short but get a step stool or something.
posted by soelo at 9:30 PM on March 11

I was starting to doubt this season, what with Annie's guilt (hey! she's SHORT, using the peephole is a pain!... until "He was stealing from me, wasn't he?"), Ruby willing to break bad with herself (but she comes around, but is further compromised, but that compromise is brilliant).

On e04, and I approve. Beth flipped.

I hope she doesn't flip back.
posted by porpoise at 7:06 PM on March 27

OK so I'm only on the first episode but it seems to me that Greg's second wife goes from discovering she's pregnant to being pretty far along (showing) in like a few days. That seemed off to me.
posted by miss-lapin at 9:34 AM on March 28

"He was stealing from me, wasn't he?"

Fucking hell if June Squibb doesn't at least get a nomination...

Greg's second wife goes from discovering she's pregnant to being pretty far along (showing) in like a few days. That seemed off to me.

The timespan of this show is... I don't want to say "malleable", but I think the latest episode kind of jumps over six weeks or so. And it's not the first time that I've suddenly realized in the middle of an episode "Oh, wait, this is weeks later, isn't it."
posted by Etrigan at 10:19 AM on March 28 [2 favorites]

I want to give Stan a hug and kick Mary Pat in the shin.
posted by soelo at 10:51 AM on April 2

I know this is gonna sound cold, but I'm totally down with killing Mary Pat at this point.
posted by miss-lapin at 4:08 AM on April 3

What has Mary Pat done that one of the main three hasn't done? She sold them out? They've sold people out who weren't in their inner circle. Mary Pat's only crime was not having an inner circle.

Okay, and also killing and dismembering a guy. Those are her only crimes.
posted by Etrigan at 7:36 AM on April 3

Tryin' to take Stan down should be a crime. She extorted them and I don't remember them extorting anyone. Bribery, yes, but no extortion.
posted by soelo at 1:10 PM on April 3 [1 favorite]

Okay, not having an inner circle and killing and dismembering a guy and extortion. Those are her only crimes.

I would argue that at least 75% of Beth and Dean’s relationship at this point is extortion.
posted by Etrigan at 1:17 PM on April 3

Yeah, marital extortion is some weird grey area especially since it started after her finding out about Adultery #1 (ordered by discovery date, not chronologically) and Household Budget Failure #1.
posted by soelo at 2:34 PM on April 3

She not only killed and dismembered a guy she also FRAMED the people who did actually help her by disposing of him with murder. Have they framed someone for murder?
posted by miss-lapin at 4:54 AM on April 4

Okay, not having an inner circle and killing and dismembering a guy and extortion and framing the people who helped her by disposing of the body. Those are her only crimes.

But seriously, Mary Pat has done what she had to do to survive, given the options available to her, which is exactly what Beth and Annie and Ruby have done. They started this whole thing by committing armed robbery of a bunch of people that Annie worked with, remember. Since then, they've laundered money, counterfeited, smuggled, lied to their spouses and children, suborned perjury, and asked other people to do things that they were pretty sure at the time were going to lead to murders.

Mary Pat's worst offense seems to be that she doesn't get montage shots of her wiping away her tears in the moonlight to show how conflicted she is about it all.
posted by Etrigan at 6:11 AM on April 4

It's true Mary Pat doesn't get that kind of sympathetic coverage, but we DO get a lot of coverage of her being super overwhelmed by her responsibility as a mother. In the last episode, when the agent comes to see her, the kids are going bonkers in the hotel room and she's just sitting on the floor utterly drained.

May being ok with Mary Pat dying is less about not being sympathetic to the character and more about-how do I say this-beginning to get bored with the same plot loop with her-she causes trouble (to protect or benefit herself)-the trio overcomes it but without neutralizing her thus ensuring this loop will occur again in the future.

It's not really about killing her. It's about how they continue to be trusting of her. Like it didn't occur to them to do anything to ensure that if the body was discovered it would be Mary Pat on the line and not themselves. Arguably they were hiding their first body so sure but at this point it should occur to them that they can't just trust her.
posted by miss-lapin at 3:44 PM on April 4

Has every but me stopped watching?
posted by miss-lapin at 10:00 PM on April 20

No, I’m just holding my breath at this point. I mean, they can’t kill Retta tonight, but... can’t they?
posted by Etrigan at 5:06 AM on April 21

I loved the origin story. It made perfect sense for the characters and their dynamic (and in my head, the Young Annie actress just showed up with the cast on the day and they said "Yeah, sure, makes sense).

I don't see how head-faking the FBI guy does anyone any good. He's just going to get mad at Ruby, right?

I admit, I gasped at the reveal in the last scene.
posted by Etrigan at 9:17 AM on April 22

I'm still watching. The last couple weeks have felt slow but Sadie's reveal was worth it. I liked the origin story too, and it got better the more it unfolded. Beth with nothing to lose will be really interesting.
posted by Nyrha at 4:13 PM on April 22

I'm still watching but it usually takes me a few days to get to an episode because although I still like the show, I'm not always feeling it - it feels different from the tension of, say, Breaking Bad, because the stakes in Good Girls are the well-being of a whole bunch of children, so it can be a bit intense sometimes to watch Beth repeatedly press her luck further and further. I don't know if this show will actually let everyone really run out of luck and meet the consequences of playing with so much fire, it isn't a cable drama, but jeez they're great at making you feel like it can all blow up any second.
posted by jason_steakums at 5:27 PM on April 22

Okay, not having an inner circle and dismembering one guy and fraudulently collecting his VA checks and nearly killing another guy and extortion and framing the people who helped her by disposing of the first guy and not telling them that the second guy wasn't dead. Those are Mary Pat's only crimes.
posted by Etrigan at 11:00 AM on May 22 [1 favorite]

« Older The Flash: King Shark vs. Gori...   |  Book: Warlight... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster