A Black Lady Sketch Show: Your Boss Knows You Don't Have Eyebrows
August 10, 2019 6:40 AM - Season 1, Episode 2 - Subscribe

A perpetually-late-to-work Shayla decides to forgo her morning makeup routine, to her coworker Toni's dismay. Trinity the Invisible Spy hunts down The Reclues, an elusive villain with a surprising identity. An array of average, awkward contestants perform before a panel of judges at the Basic Ball. Security guard Fatimah helps an office worker investigate who stole her missing mug. Robin, Quinta, and Gabrielle uncover a shocking truth about Ashley's nighttime ritual. (plus a wedding vow sketch)

Episode 2 Guest Stars: Loretta Devine, Nicole Byer, Aja Naomi King, Caldwell Tidicue, Lena Waithe

Decider: Meet the Cast of Robin Thede and Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy
posted by oh yeah! (6 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Make sure to watch all the way through the end-credits - they threw in a couple of extra bits and an outtake. (And now I realize they did it in episode 1 as well!)

This show is just the best.
posted by oh yeah! at 6:50 AM on August 10

The basic ball and the wedding sketches killed me! And the Recluse. And the missing mug. I wish I could just sit down and watch this for five hours.
posted by gaybobbie at 11:48 AM on August 10

The Fatimah-coffee mug sketch was so surreal, completely unexpected tone and so much funnier. Caldwell Tidicue's Basic Ball host was amazing. And Trinity getting trapped in a store by the Recluse was genius.

What I really love is that there's so much sharing sketch time. I knew Robin Thede and Ashley Nicole Black before this show, but I am really enjoying getting to know Gabrielle and Quinta too.
posted by gladly at 8:14 AM on August 11 [1 favorite]

Here's more Ashley Nicole Black and Nicole Byer together on Byer's podcast! The bit at the end where they patiently but firmly tell off the man in the Q&A who not-all-mens them ... love it.
posted by gaybobbie at 11:07 AM on August 12 [2 favorites]

I've had the "Don't I?" from the wedding sketch in my head all week, ha!

As someone who also gets mistaken for other woc of my c semi-often, the Trinity sketches have been killing me. They're also a fun twist on John le Carre's George Smiley character, imo - a spy who doesn't appear like someone you would suspect of being a spy.

Having recently watched the first season of Pose (a must-see if you loved Paris is Burning, and vice versa), I freakin loved the ball sketch. "I'm looking for sadness! I'm looking for Eeyore in Dior!"

Love how the twist in the Fatima sketch imbues that Killin' It mug with extra meaning. ;)
posted by rather be jorting at 11:09 AM on August 16

« Older Book: The Departure...   |  Movie: Rocko's Modern Life: St... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments