The Mitchells vs. the Machines (2021)
April 30, 2021 10:28 PM - Subscribe

A quirky, dysfunctional family's road trip is upended when they find themselves in the middle of the robot apocalypse and suddenly become humanity's unlikeliest last hope.
posted by m@f (10 comments total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

Take Gravity Falls, Into the Spiderverse, and lab-grade amphetamine and give it to a film student prodigy. The result is this film.

I can’t imagine how this got made, and I’m so glad it was.
posted by m@f at 10:48 PM on April 30 [8 favorites]

Absolutely loved this! Super fun and very dramatic at times, with awesome animation!

Enjoyed this review from Vulture: It’s Little Miss Sunshine meets I, Robot meets The Host meets Zombieland meets WALL-E meets Kill Bill meets, well, all the other movies.
posted by ellieBOA at 12:08 PM on May 1 [2 favorites]

Our family watched this last night. It was fantastic fun!
posted by fimbulvetr at 4:48 PM on May 1

This is easily one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while. Pure fun. Incredible.
posted by spikeleemajortomdickandharryconnickjrmints at 8:04 PM on May 1

The Furby section in the mall had my teenager laughing SO HARD. (Me too, to be clear.) I was also super impressed with the face animation of Evil Siri on the phone. So much creativity in such a clean, simple space.
posted by ssmith at 10:23 AM on May 3 [3 favorites]

Pretty much every scene garnished a chef's kiss from me. When the dad accidentally changed the sys settings to Spanish and screamed when he saw an n with a tilde? oh. my. god.
posted by snerson at 11:56 AM on May 3 [2 favorites]

D E R E G U L A T E      T A P I O C A
posted by teraflop at 10:24 PM on May 3 [2 favorites]

What an charming movie. Did everyone listen to the end?
posted by hototogisu at 12:22 AM on May 4

This was a really fun movie. The animation was so creative and even the credits were fun.
posted by ceejaytee at 5:04 AM on May 5

This is honestly the best film ive seen this year. Very funny, and so creative both in look and individual moments. Fundamentally it is a family story, so the overarching moral message and plot is predictable, but within those lines it is able to craft something really unique.
posted by Cannon Fodder at 11:46 PM on May 5

« Older Movie: Mortal Kombat...   |  Podcast: The Left Right Game: ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster