Decision to Leave (2022)
September 14, 2022 7:17 AM - Subscribe

A detective investigating a man's death in the mountains meets the dead man's mysterious wife in the course of his dogged sleuthing. "Six years after lighting a fire in Cannes with his erotically charged thriller The Handmaiden, South Korean master Park Chan-wook returns with an altogether different work, a luscious neo-noir whose more restrained surface nonetheless reveals churning currents of sensuality and danger underneath. While the new film recalls procedural elements that go back to the director’s 2000 commercial breakthrough, Joint Security Area, this is a far richer, twistier detective story. Crafted with unforced humor, ravishing visuals and commanding maturity, Decision to Leave intoxicates with its potent brew of love, emotional manipulation — or is it? —and obsession." - Hollywood Reporter
posted by vacapinta (3 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Justwatch listing.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 8:00 AM on September 14, 2022 [1 favorite]

Of course Park Chan-wook is also known for the film OldBoy.
I saw Decision to Leave last week here in the Netherlands and found it hugely entertaining. The visuals were indeed stunning with a lot of beautiful cinematography but the movie is also a dark comedy and really funny and wild in parts. I'm not sure what genre this film falls into -neo-noir, detective story, romance, thriller, dark comedy, absurdist film, tragedy - but it somehow manages to do them all.
posted by vacapinta at 3:42 AM on September 15, 2022

Yeah, this was presented to me as a "romantic thriller" and after watching it, that's not how I would describe it in a million years. While not exactly wrong, the romance is all dark and forbidden. It's hard to make a movie with equal parts comedy and tragedy, but this is definitely that. I got to a point in the story where I thought it was wrapping up and then a whole new chapter started. Really good film, but wish I'd gone in with slightly different expectations.
posted by rikschell at 3:40 PM on November 1, 2022

« Older Movie: Extraordinary Tales...   |  Agatha Christie's Poirot: Appo... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster