The Zone of Interest (2023)
February 1, 2024 11:36 AM - Subscribe

The commandant of Auschwitz, Rudolf Hoss, and his wife Hedwig, strive to build a dream life for their family in a house and garden next to the camp.

Written and directed by Jonathan Glazer, loosely based on the 2014 novel by Martin Amis. Evil has never looked more banal - and that's the whole point, in this poster's opinion.
posted by EmpressCallipygos (10 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I kinda want to see this in the theater, but based on when it originally came out and the new Max/A24 deal, it seems like it should be streaming very soon, maybe tomorrow even?
posted by DirtyOldTown at 2:03 PM on February 1

Chilling and very well done, and amazing sound design and set design. I saw it a few days ago and am still thinking about it, especially the ending. This movie is a masterclass in saying a whole lot while showing very little.

I'd love to know what people thought of the sequences of the local girl hiding the apples and the significance of the color inversion outdoors vs. indoors? I initially thought these were dream sequences but then we see that they aren't.
posted by windbox at 3:38 PM on February 1 [1 favorite]

Same with me, windbox; I think we were meant to think that.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 7:06 PM on February 1

Absolutely stunning.

The scenes with the Polish girl: According to Glazer that is a result of the need to film at night in the countryside combined with their guiding principle of concealing the cameras and only use natural lighting. How do you shoot a scene in the dark? With thermal imaging cameras. It has a number of thematically resonant results, but it's a purely practical decision.
posted by Grangousier at 4:35 PM on February 2 [2 favorites]

DirtyOldTown, I think you'd find the theater experience almost critical for this. There are some immersive qualities that, IMO, will hit much different at the scale of a theater. (Not that it shouldn't be watched otherwise, but if you have a choice, it's worth it.)
posted by cocoagirl at 4:48 AM on February 4 [1 favorite]

Based on the other Jonathan Glazer films I've seen, this has about a 50% chance of being something Comrade Doll and I could watch and appreciate together and a 50% chance of being something she nopes out on pretty quickly. The subject matter/thematic approach is in her wheelhouse, but his filmmaking style can go either way...

So I'm hoping to see it at home, as it's easier if we have the option for her to quit and go elsewhere as opposed ot her feeling trapped in the theater and me burning a lot of goodwill.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 10:42 AM on February 5

This devastating. CD thought so, too.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 5:57 PM on February 22

This was devastating. Jesus I suck at typing.

Seriously, though. I was narrowly rating Past Lives ahead of Poor Things, but this laps them both, IMO.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 7:02 PM on February 22

So much has already been said above that I would said as well.

Rather than echo that I would like to comment this movie for doing a truly superlative job of letting the past look like the past without making the past old. What I mean by that is, the vast, vast majority of the time, if a movie is set seventy years ago, the look is created by finding pieces/sets from the era. Good on you, production designer. The thing is: those pieces are many decades old now. And they would not have been seventy years ago. All of the production details in this look a) of the period (mid 1940's) and b) as though they were just purchased/built recently. You don't see that often. And in this case, it was part of the story. Höss was simultaneously building a horrific death camp and his ideal family home, right next door.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 6:08 AM on February 23 [2 favorites]

Very very striking film. Enjoyed it quite a bit, if that's the right word.
posted by knapah at 1:15 PM on February 25

« Older All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite:...   |  Movie: Clear and Present Dange... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster