Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: The Paris Climate Agreement
June 7, 2017 8:27 AM - Season 4, Episode 14 - Subscribe
- Terrorist attacks in London killed 7 and injured more. The American news media is full of stories of London "reeling" and "under siege." Londoners take issue with that description, continue drinking beer and carrying on.
- Vladimir Putin is in many places, from clips to an Oliver Stone series of interview on him to interviewing former Fox host Megyn Kelly, where he admited Russian citizens may have interfered with the US election, while Trump's administraion looks into returning Russian compounds on US soil known to have been used for spying.
- And Now: 60 Minutes Anchors Are Still Prompting People To Give Them The Exact Soundbites They Need.
- Main story: Trump announces that he is pulling the US out of the Paris Agreement, a decision with possibly disasterous consequences. YouTube (21m)
- And Now: Still More 60 Minutes Anchors Prompting People To Give Them The Exact Soundbites They Need.
Among the #thingsthatleavebritainreeling: Accidental eye contact in the tube or in a lift, and when people make tea in the microwave.
Vladimir Putin: "Perhaps the biggest threat to the United States, after the President of the United States."
Megyn Kelly's new show: "Forget Everything I Said On FOX Since 2004 With Megyn Kelly."
Trump's book: "TRUMP: The Art Of The... Look, I Never Wanted Any Of This. I'm Way Out Of My Depth, This Was Just A Branding Exercise That Got Out Of Hand, Oh My God The Russians Are On The Phone Again Tell Them I'm Not Here, Jared, What Did You Do, What Did You Do Jared Oh Shiiiiiit."
Bjork: "What... ARE you?"
A highlight of this episode is the audience laughing during clips of Trump speeches when he indulges in a multiple-second, Shatnerian pause. (My personal suggestion to make these speeches slightly more bearable is, whenever this happens, to utter a quiet "vroom!" to simulate the truck driving through those pauses.)
Another highlight is the tiny Beauty And The Beast people coming in and dancing on Oliver's desk.
Pennsylvania State Senator Scott Wagner on the causes of global warming: "The Earth moves closer to the sun every year. We have more people. You know, humans have warm bodies, so is heat coming off? We're just going through a lot of change, but I think we are, as a society, doing the best we can."
North Carolina State Representative Larry Pittman (adopting an infuriatingly condescending tone): "Our climate runs on a cycle. It goes up and it goes down and and Lord designed it that way. And the main thing that causes global warming is the Earth's relationship to a big ball of gas that's burning out there that we call the sun. And it is the height of hubris for human beings to think that we can have any effect on that."
A thing John Oliver suggests that you can do to help offset Trump's terrible decision is to call state and local officials and put pressure on them to meet climate goals themselves. He suggests calling your major, governor and state representatives.
F.37: Mr. Met, MEETUS METSUS