In Lena Dunham's movie adaptation of the YA book: "A 14 year old girl in medieval England navigates through life and avoiding potential suitors her father has in mind." Perhaps taking cues from Marie Antoinette and The Favourite, Birdy explores coming of age in 13th century Stonebridge Manor, interrogates women's place in society there and then (and here and now), and rebels against its social strictures with irreverent wit and verve as she experiences heartbreak and loss -- but also glee and delight -- with friends and family along the way to a (somewhat) unconventional comedic conclusion.
Steve Coogan has been asked by The Observer to tour the country's finest restaurants, but after his girlfriend backs out on him he must take his best friend and source of eternal aggravation, Rob Brydon. [more inside]
As the only relative to take over the Royal throne, a down on his luck American slob must learn the ways of the English. [more inside]
A skilled London police officer is transferred to a small town that's harbouring a dark secret. [more inside]
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: 911 Season 3, Ep 12
- Donald Trump starts to mend fences with the Republican elite (5m), as we all knew he would; refuses to release his tax returns; invented a publicist for himself in the 80s that was actually just him.
- A recording of the Queen of England caught her saying a remark about a Chinese diplomat. (2m)
- Budweiser announces temporarily changing the name of their beer-like substance to "America." (2m)
- People Who Somehow Got Elected: Paul LePage, Governor of Maine. (4m)
- Main story: 911, and the difficulties it faces in the age of cell phones. (16m)
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Scottish Independence, Corporations Misuse Twitter Season 1, Ep 17
The NFL is embroiled in controversy for their handling of player Ray Rice's assault on his wife. ISIS prompts yet another American military intervention in Iraq (2m). Olive Garden comes under fire from activist hedge fund for poor practices, including not using salt to boil pasta water to prolong pot life. Scotland votes on independence from the United Kingdom (15m). Newscasters misidentify photographs as selfies. A record of companies misappropriating Twitter hashtags and memes to try to look important and socially-conscious, featuring the hashtag #WeUnderstandThatAsCorporateEntitiesOurPresenceInCertainDiscussionsIsNotAlwaysRequiredSoWeWillStriveToLimitOurActivitiesToJustSellingyouShit.