The Favourite (2018)
November 29, 2018 6:25 AM - Subscribe

In early 18th century England, a frail Queen Anne occupies the throne and her close friend Lady Sarah governs the country in her stead. When a new servant Abigail arrives, her charm endears her to Sarah.
posted by everybody had matching towels (7 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

All three leads were great, but please just give Olivia Coleman the Oscar right now.
posted by doctornecessiter at 7:02 AM on November 29 [7 favorites]

The trailer makes this seem like a movie meant to fill the Toast-shaped void in my heart. I haven't gotten to see it yet, but I am so excited for when I do.
posted by ChuraChura at 8:16 AM on November 29 [4 favorites]

I absolutely loved this movie. The dialogue! The dance scene! Rachel Wiesz in those shooting outfits!

My friend found it a bit too weird for her tastes, but, you know, it's Lanthimos.
posted by tofu_crouton at 10:16 AM on November 29 [2 favorites]

I also enjoyed the way this movie seemed, at different times, like very many different types of movies. The scene where Emma Stone is getting a book and trying to quietly sneak down with it had me on edge the way a good horror movie does. That was the entirety of The Quiet Place boiled down to two minutes. Olivia Coleman's portrayal of the queen managed to skate between comedy and Oscar-worthy tragedy so that you were never sure quite what you were watching. And then there was also what I would consider romance, although I think the degree of it is one of those things that we'll be talking about for a while. My friend and I had very different interpretations of those motives of Abigail and Sarah.

My partner said, "it was not a very subtle movie," but I disagree. Looking back, I can see how they toyed with my perceptions of the characters. They seemed to flip between villain and hero in my mind over the course of the film. Take Harley, for instance, for whom I felt such revulsion at the beginning. He's no better or worse a man at the end, but my perception changed. He's trying to make political change during the reign of a fickle monarch. Even if I don't like him, by the end I at least sympathize with him. I am sure I will be reflecting on this movie more as it settles itself in my mind.
posted by tofu_crouton at 10:28 AM on November 29 [2 favorites]

As soon as Nicholas Hoult and Rachel Weisz were in a scene together (as pretty much age-peers) near the beginning, it occurred to me that they had been in About A Boy together and I was nervous that they might try to establish some kind of sexual chemistry here, which would have weirded me out so I'm glad it didn't go that way. I'm all for younger man-older woman hook-ups in movies, but just not when I've seen her basically play his sort-of "stepmom" in another movie when he was like 12.
posted by doctornecessiter at 10:39 AM on November 29 [2 favorites]

I saw it. Eh. I didn't hate it. But I didn't love it either. Why am I so unimpressed with critical darlings the older I get?

The good news: there were great character moments (especially earlier in the film) that had me on the edge of my seat.

The bad news: However, I felt my attention dissolving over the course of the movie and I fought the urge to turn on my phone to check the time.

The good news: the costumes were really good despite the overly stylized fabrics.

The bad news: But by the end of the movie I was sooooo bored with black and white gowns, and I never want to see a stomacher with polka dots again.

More bad news: I also found the fish-eye lenses and anachronistic touches distracting rather than charming. It kept me from being absorbed into the movie, and it reminded me I was watching A YORGOS LANTHIMOS FILM!!!

The good news: the acting was very good.

The bad news: it didn't have much of a plot and it ended with a pointless shot of kaleidoscopic bunnies, exactly like the cover of Sparks' Young Lovers album.

I didn't hate it, but ultimately it seemed so pointless. It looked like it was going into an interesting direction at the beginning, but all the characters ended up being hateful and there were no meaningful arcs. Abigail's ambition leaves her twisted and dissipated! Sarah ends up proud but alone. Anne ends up alone-er. It felt trite to me and not very interesting.

#unpopularopinion
posted by suburbanbeatnik at 11:26 PM on November 30 [3 favorites]

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but I have to agree with suburbanbeatnik about finding the kaleidoscoep end image an odd choice. The three leads were all fantastic and complicated. Olivia Coleman as the queen really blew me away.

My friend and I were debating whether Abigail was honest when she offered to end the feud once she was married. I thought she might be, but he didn't agree.

Loved, Loved, Loved the costumes, locations and ridiculous dance sequences.

I've never seen a Yorgos Lanthimos film before, so I'll have to check his other ones out.
posted by Julnyes at 8:16 AM on December 4

« Older Survivor: David vs Goliath...   |  Movie: The Princess Switch... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster