Dangal (2016)
January 24, 2017 6:38 PM - Subscribe

Blockbuster inspirational sports drama based on a true story: former wrestler Mahavir Singh Phogat decides to teach his daughters to wrestle. Indian film star Aamir Khan stars -- and produces it, along with Walt Disney Pictures. Dangal is "the second highest grossing Indian film of all time".

Trailer, one of the song montages (with a bit of a rap feel), English Wikipedia on the movie.

Appealing elements include: Music, perseverance, girls and women succeeding, a dad who 100% believes in his daughters, Indian women/girls onscreen with HELLA short hair -- I mean, like buzzcut, 1 inch or less -- and girls being formidable athletes in contests with girls and with boys.
posted by brainwane (2 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Shoot - this looks really fun but it seems like I missed my window. It is playing here in the bay but seems like it will be gone before this weekend when I have time to go see it :(
posted by latkes at 8:50 AM on January 25

It's still playing near me in NJ, but I can't tell if the theater would be playing it with English subtitles or not. Disney being a distributor/producer makes me think it has a good chance of turning up on Netflix or cable eventually though, no?
posted by oh yeah! at 2:56 PM on January 25

« Older Colony: 98 seconds...   |  The Flash: Borrowing Problems ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster