Jackie (2016)
February 14, 2017 10:55 PM - Subscribe

Following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy fights through grief and trauma to regain her faith, console her children, and define her husband's historic legacy.
posted by Eyebrows McGee (7 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Holy. Fucking. Crap. I haven't seen La La Land yet, but I can't imagine it's better than this.
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 10:56 PM on February 14

JFK Jr and Caroline's onscreen toys include a golliwog doll. I haven't seen any irl contemporary pictures proving that this was actually true.
posted by brujita at 4:57 PM on February 15

My wife saw it and thought it was awful. Personally, when I first saw the trailer, I thought it was a joke. "There's no way they're making *another* Kennedy movie," I thought. Wasn't that Katie Holmes TV miniseries just a couple years ago?

Anyhow, this will go down in history as the first movie my then-three-week-old daughter ever saw.
posted by kevinbelt at 2:47 PM on February 20

I don't usually like non-linear narratives but the jumping around this one did I thought was really powerful, and Natalie Portman was excellent. The other actors, whatever, but Portman was really excellent.
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 7:01 PM on February 20

I liked it, my dad thought it was a character assassination. I thought she came off as very real, and the movie was an interesting look at an incredibly difficult transition period for her.
posted by graventy at 8:45 AM on February 21

"my dad thought it was a character assassination."

That's interesting, why did he think that? I thought it "felt" like being lost in grief feels like, with the non-linear structure and the scenes that were played as hyperreal or surreal or driftingly slow. But it struck me much more as a meditation on grief using a very public example than a biopic per se.

(If I went in expecting a biopic I guess probably wouldn't have liked it, but I knew about the non-linear narrative from reviews so I wasn't expecting it to be terribly straight forward.)
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 3:12 PM on February 21

I came away from it thinking Grey Gardens must have been part of the homework. That said, Portman's accent and mannerisms were perfect.

That was archival audio of JFK's voice in the final "clip" from the White House tour, right?
posted by emelenjr at 9:31 AM on March 8

« Older Homeland: A Flash of Light...   |  The Young Pope: Tenth Episode... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster