Lady Bird (2017)
November 13, 2017 11:16 AM - Subscribe

Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson, a fiercely independent teenager, tries to make her own way in the world while wanting to get out of her hometown of Sacramento, California & to get away from her complicated mother & recently-unemployed father.
posted by GuyZero (11 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

This was a wonderful coming-of-age film that I think everyone should see. Wonderful performances, well written, very evocative.

Perhaps I am biased by having a daughter the same age as the main character in the film and some of the arguments between the mother and daughter onscreen were a little too real. Way, way too real.
posted by GuyZero at 11:17 AM on November 13

I’m dying to see this because of the use of my favourite Monkees song in the trailer!
posted by gnuhavenpier at 11:19 AM on November 13 [2 favorites]

I liked it a bunch, and I can now say pretty confidently that when I previously thought I liked Noah Baumbach movies, the truth appears to be that I actually just really like Greta Gerwig movies.
posted by the phlegmatic king at 11:45 AM on November 13 [3 favorites]

But, one thing I'm curious about: what did people make of the scene where the priest was talking to Lady Bird's mom about not being able to direct plays anymore?
posted by the phlegmatic king at 11:46 AM on November 13

I though he was maybe suicidal - she asked if he had support for when he had "these feelings" or something. I wasn't exactly sure what to make of it really. It was ambiguous to the extreme of almost being a non-sequitur. But maybe I just didn't get it.
posted by GuyZero at 11:47 AM on November 13

That makes sense; I figured it had to be either something like that, or a weird dropped subplot about him struggling with feelings for one of the kids, which would be a big tonal departure from the rest of the movie. I think you're right that it felt like a non-sequitur; I can talk myself into some plot-structure reasons for it to be there, but it stuck out as the only odd note in a movie I loved.
posted by the phlegmatic king at 11:51 AM on November 13

The scene with the priest was one of the few scenes that didn't have Lady Bird/Christine in it (there were a couple others with her mom). I felt like it was just a way to show her mom's compassion and understanding. It was kind of an oddly place scene, though, I agree with that.

I really loved how this movie was paced. All the scenes were just as long as they needed to be and while sometimes the transitions felt a little abrupt, it worked. It reminded me the way we remember things -- we jump from moment to moment (and sometimes those moments are longer) and those things form a narrative of our lives.

I appreciated the sensitivity and empathy that Gerwig showed toward young women. Lady Bird was a bit hard to take sometimes, but it rang true. I loved watching her navigate her life and trying on different roles and attitudes. I'm glad, that while it had a conclusion, it didn't feel neatly tied up. There was no major revelation; just a coming to a place of understanding.

It was, in a lot of ways, a lot quieter than I thought it was going to be but that actually made me like it more. Most of the funniest lines were in the trailer, but I'm glad it was just a constant deluge of wit/sarcasm. It was a lot sweeter than that.

I'm a huge Gerwig fan and a Baumbach fan, but I think she has a stronger voice on her own (and she's been a bigger influence of his work than he has been on hers). I'm really excited to see what she does next. This was just so lovely and effortless and accomplished. I'm all for women telling more stories like this about women.
posted by darksong at 12:10 PM on November 13 [2 favorites]

Not to derail discussion of the larger plot of the movie in general, but my take on the scene between the mom and the priest was that he had some terminal illness, and she wanted to make sure that he was going to be taken care of through whatever came next. He already knew about whatever it was, which was why he cried so quickly and deeply during the crying game scene, and why he took it so hard that people didn't seem to "get" the play he directed because it was his last.
posted by Krazor at 2:32 PM on November 13 [3 favorites]

The scene with the priest was one of the few scenes that didn't have Lady Bird/Christine in it (there were a couple others with her mom). I felt like it was just a way to show her mom's compassion and understanding.

my take on the scene between the mom and the priest was that he had some terminal illness

Interesting -- my take was also that he tried to kill himself, but that he was also closeted gay. That scene came immediately after Lady Bird was comforting Danny and promising him that she wouldn't tell, and the mom is also telling the priest that she won't tell. I took it as showing that for all of their differences and arguments, Lady Bird and Mom were really cut from the same caring cloth.
posted by knownassociate at 7:33 AM on November 14 [1 favorite]

I was puzzled by the scene with the priest too (to the point of asking the person I saw it with) but until I came here, I just assumed that I was the only one who needed to ask.
posted by Obscure Reference at 3:36 PM on November 14

« Older Movie: A Ghost Story...   |  Steven Universe: Gemcation... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster