Glitch: Season Two (All Episodes)
December 4, 2017 7:47 AM - Season 2 (Full Season) - Subscribe

The Australian Broadcasting Company/Netflix show returns for season two, delivering several answers to the ongoing mystery of how the "risen" might have returned from the dead, even as many more questions arise.
posted by DirtyOldTown (10 comments total)

Two random thoughts to get things started:

1) I still have no idea why the show is called "Glitch."
2) The name of the evil corporation cracks me up... NOREGARD... NO REGARD.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 8:10 AM on December 4

I'm only three episodes in, but my inventory (which won't include everything) goes as follows:

QUESTIONS ANSWERED
1) We know who brought them back: Elishia.
2) We have a vague sense of why: John/William.
3) Will James ever tell Chris? A: Yes.

QUESTION POSSIBLY HALFWAY THROUGH BEING ANSWERED:
1) Who killed Kirstie? Looks like Vicky Carmichael is at least an accomplice.

QUESTIONS NOT ANSWERED:
1) WTF happened to Vic to make him turn into whatever it was that he became?
2) Why does the boundary exist? What is it?
3) How were they brought back?

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS RAISED:
1) What does Elishia mean when she says she came back and "was Elishia"? How did she come back? Who is she to John/William?
2) What is the deal with Beau's mom's boyfriend Phil and/or Sarah? I have this suspicion that whatever the evil force is opposing the risen is, it can activate people who have recently died as agents on its behalf. This is also possibly what happened to Vic.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 8:26 AM on December 4

The farther I got into this season, the more I turned from regular-watching to hate-watching.

Sarah and Phil came back to life to kill the Risen, because the universe is opposed to people being brought back to life. Okay, the universe is kind of a hypocrite, but whatever.

But William and Elishia both came back to life previously for...no clear reason? Because they loved each other? If people missing people they loved is enough to bring people back to life, seems like this would happen quite a lot. (Season 3: Kalinda is back, looking for Paddy?)

So we know that people come back to life, sometimes just waking up after having died, but other times waking up in another recently-deceased person's body (re: "she came back and 'was Elishia'"). And the universe is okay with that, but we have nothing to explain why either of these scenarios normally happens. (I'd imagine many people could die and come back not even realizing it happened, depending on circumstance.) There's no indication, in these circumstances, that these people come back with newfound purpose.

But the universe is not okay with people intentionally bringing other people back to life. If you do that, the universe will revive other people dying nearby (my theory: the universe deliberately causes the death of nearby people, so it can revive them with their new purpose) to send them out to kill the artificially revived people. Vic and Phil seemed quite dedicated to their purpose, but Sarah was eventually able to resist hers. How strong is this impulse? Maybe it's not that strong, but Vic and Phil are just people who were already relatively more okay with, shall we say, capital punishment. Or maybe it's a very strong impulse and we were supposed to think Sarah is just SUCH A GOOD PERSON that she overcame it? Probably.

Risen mercenaries can read the memories of other Risen (natural or artificial, undead or re-dead), but artificially Risen people can't? (Nothing magical happened when William and Elishia kissed.) That seems kinda unfair.

Naturally risen people don't experience an invisible boundary and possibly can't regrow fingers, etc. People risen via stem-cell have considerable regrowth abilities, but can they, say, heal themselves from lethal wounds? Are all those gunshot wounds healing as quickly as William's fingers are growing back? I think this is not handled consistently.

James said everyone who rose came back because people were missing them. Uh, who missed Paddy?

DirtyOldTown, Elishia said they were in love (in their first life) but couldn't be together then and he had to leave for some reason (to go to Australia?). It seems like William has only lived one identity -- although he died and then revived. Has Elishia (or the "soul" that inhabits her or whatever) been living multiple lives/identities over the last 200 years, trying to find a way back to William? Or did she pop into a body just recently now that there's technology to revive him?

I'm really confused about Elishia's timeline, and who the person whose body she reclaimed was. Did she take over the body of someone who was already a stem-cell expert and then finish her research?

Here's the part that breaks the show for me: Regarding the whole stem-cell idea, it's ridiculous that they'd regrow into an adult person of the age they were when they died. The risen-by-science and risen-by-supernatural-reasons scenarios don't share enough explanation -- I wish they'd picked one rather than both. If it were all supernatural, Elishia could still have found a spell/prayer/whatever to bring William back, and there could still be an evil company wanting to research/harness this power.

tl;dr: This show is bad in a very Netflix Originals way.
posted by katieinshoes at 9:03 AM on December 4 [2 favorites]

Also, how does a person from hundreds of years ago waking up in Elishia's body acquire her expert level research ability for stem cells but not her attachment to the partner she casually abandoned?
posted by DirtyOldTown at 9:44 AM on December 4

Also, I am calling it now: Elishia will rise again before the end of the season.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 9:45 AM on December 4

Increasingly, this show reminds me of latter-era Lost. As it goes on, it largely skates past the points where we'd expect some answers and leaves steaming piles of new, lousier questions behind. And when we do get answers, I have a sneaking suspicion they will be quasi-mystical horseshit.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 9:54 AM on December 4 [1 favorite]

We finished the season last night. I feel like they did well by Kirstie's story, but the continuing harping on the James Kate thing isn;t just driving her nuts, it's bothering me too.

They got about 60% of the way to answering the questions on how people were brought back and who (or at least what) the opposing forces are, but it really is some malarkey.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 6:50 AM on December 5

Also, they killed Paddy, who was maybe the most interesting character on the show.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 6:51 AM on December 5

The farther I got into this season, the more I turned from regular-watching to hate-watching.

Same. It flipped to hate at episode 4 for reasons I don't remember. There are plot holes you can drive a Land Rover through. This is extreme nitpicking but I don't even understand where Kirstie, Charlie and William got vaguely period-appropriate clothing or why they are wearing it. Do the writers think we won't be able to tell them apart?

If "repeating the experiment" required 50 gallon barrels and a bevy of DJ equipment to raise one person from the dead, where was all that stuff the first time? Elishia showed up in a car. Maybe William can ask her in Season 3.

This show wastes so much time on repetitive exposition (Kalinda and Paddy as just one example). The score is crap - the subtitles read [distant piercing noise] every time they were about to Remember Something. After we found out he was gay, Charlie's backstory got really boring. At least Maria didn't come back. God how I hated her.

And when we do get answers, I have a sneaking suspicion they will be quasi-mystical horseshit.

I was thinking that when Vic disintegrated, it resembled a smoke monster.

I liked season 1 and I really wanted to like this one, but I can't foresee watching a season 3 when there's so much better stuff out there. (Go watch Dark.)
posted by AFABulous at 3:47 PM on December 11

Speaking of Lost, for a few episodes I thought the actress who plays Kate in this show was the same actress that played Kate in Lost.
posted by AFABulous at 3:51 PM on December 11

« Older Star Trek: Voyager: In the Fle...   |  Podcast: Chapo Trap House: Epi... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster