The Chi: Pilot
January 9, 2018 2:59 PM - Season 1, Episode 1 - Subscribe

A fictional drama following the lives of several people growing up in contemporary South Side Chicago; available on Showtime and Amazon.

(Extended description courtesy of Metacritic)

The coming-of-age drama from Common, Elwood Reid, and Lena Waithe follows a group of residents in the South Side of Chicago including Brandon (Jason Mitchell), who dreams of opening up a restaurant with his girlfriend (Tiffany Boone) but is torn by his responsibilities toward his younger brother Coogie (Jahking Guillory) and their alcoholic mother (Sonja Sohn); 13-tear-old Kevin (Alex Hibbert) who finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time; and Jada (Yolonda Ross) a single mother to her son Emmett (Jacob Latimore).
posted by fizzix (2 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Obligatory Chicagoan freakout about how they definitely didn’t film most (any?) of this actually on 79th; the restaurant is Haisous, if anyone was wondering (and I highly recommend going there). I do always have fun recognizing places (and the occasional person!) in shows filmed here.

This was heavy, but good. I’ll watch more of it. I don’t know how much more I have to say about it after just the one episode.
posted by jeweled accumulation at 9:28 AM on January 11

It was heavy but I enjoyed it. I tend to be really choosy in my TV shows. The characters were believable and the characters weren't one-sided; we saw the awkwardness of the little boy Kevin with his crush; the

The only subplot line that I didn't care for was the flirting between the chef's wife and Brandon.
posted by fizzix at 4:27 PM on January 11

« Older Podcast: Pod Save America: “St...   |  Movie: The Lives of Others... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster