Master and Commander
March 26, 2018 4:55 PM - by Patrick O'Brian - Subscribe
Jack Aubrey, R.N. (extreme jock prep) befriends Stephen Maturin, F.R.S. (extreme goth nerd) on the same day he is given his first command, an aging 14 gun sloop – the poor old heavy slow dirty-bottomed Sophie. Her orders: prowl the Mediterranean, and carry out the piratical affairs of the disgusting British Empire. No stern window escapes unappreciated in this first book of the twenty book series.
- This AV Club Book Club rundown of the book is interesting. The description of Jack Aubrey as "larger than life while still recognizably being life" is spot on.
- The Tor.com 2010 reread (spoilers) by Jo Walton should have some interesting takes on the series.
- Guide for the Perlexed, a glossary of "non-English" phrases for the entire series.
- A medicinal glossary. Why not.
- A collection of real life ship plans for ships one which the fictional ones are partially based. Of general interest is a side view of the HMS Surprise if you want to quickly remember where e.g. the gun room is.
- This site has some neat maps. (Use Safari to view on OS X.)