April 3, 2018 8:32 PM - by Patrick O'Brian - Subscribe
In this second novel of the twenty book series, Commander Aubrey and Doctor Maturin vie with tipstaff and distaff, missing stays and making shocking leeway aboard the vile Polychrest, the Carpenter's Mistake, in the service of the disgusting British Empire of the early 1800s. Introducing Diana Villiers (extreme goth jock) and Sophia Williams (soft prep nerd??) to the series. Special appearance by the Misses Lamb.
‘I have worn you down a trifle, my spark,’ thought Admiral Harte, looking at him with satisfaction.Smattering of resources and supplementary material:
- Tor.com 2010 reread by Jo Walton.
- Guide for the Perlexed, a glossary of "non-English" phrases for the entire series.
- A medicinal glossary, why not.
- Wikipedia's glossary of nautical terms.
- A collection of real life ship plans on which many of the fictional ships were based.
- This site has some neat maps. (Doesn't work in Chrome.).
- Recommended by bitter-girl.com: Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels