Reply All: #120 INVCEL
May 10, 2018 6:50 AM - Subscribe

How a shy, queer Canadian woman accidentally invented one of the internet's most toxic male communities.
posted by Tevin (8 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Well, this is my nightmare.
posted by dinty_moore at 9:46 AM on May 10 [1 favorite]

I'm stuck thinking about fifteen years worth of abandoned projects and communities and wondering what I would do if I found out that one day one of them became a haven for terrorism.
posted by dinty_moore at 9:51 AM on May 10 [2 favorites]

I started a ukulele discussion group on Yahoo and then forgot about it and when I checked in a few years later there were several thousand people actively discussing the topic. Nobody was planning any terrorism, though.
posted by maxsparber at 11:27 AM on May 11 [8 favorites]

That sounds like about as much as one can hope for out of a ukulele group
posted by DoctorFedora at 6:05 AM on May 13 [1 favorite]

I started a ukulele discussion group on Yahoo and then forgot about it and when I checked in a few years later there were several thousand people actively discussing the topic. Nobody was planning any terrorism, though.
Everything is subjective, I suppose
posted by Cogito at 10:22 PM on May 13 [1 favorite]

The twee army rises.
posted by maxsparber at 6:33 AM on May 14

Great podcast.

That a queer academic invented INVCEL is astonishing. I suppose it's always easier to make a thoughtful and harmless thing horrible than to do the opposite. But, it's sad to see.

Now I can't help wondering what a neo-nazi amateur uke forum would look like. That's probably a question best left unanswered.
posted by eotvos at 9:55 AM on May 14

I felt bad for her that she took on so much guilt over what INVCEL had become. I wanted to tell her, "Don't take on that extra emotional labour!" Honestly, she had no way of knowing her thoughtful creation would go rancid, and it's not her fault.

I also listened to Canadaland's The Manosphere and it was another good look at this horror show.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 11:56 AM on May 14 [1 favorite]

« Older Star Trek: Voyager: Life Line...   |  The Department of Time: Tiempo... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments