BattleBots: It’s On Discovery Channel and Science Channel Now
June 6, 2018 1:49 PM - Season 3 (Full Season) - Subscribe

Wait, what? There’s a new season? And it’s already halfway done? Well, they’re repeating some tonight and they’re probably On Demand or whatever. IT’S ROBOT FIGHTING TIME!
posted by Etrigan (6 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I stumbled on it pretty much by accident a few weeks ago.

It's better this season too: less interminable presenting, more fighting; and they're not doing strict brackets this time (or at least not yet? I'm a bit hazy on how they eventually determine a winner) so at the moment the episodes are more "here's a bunch of fan-favorite match-ups, including a 3-way rumble.".

The last episode had a robot with a cannon! which was exciting but a one-shot weapon after which got beaten into submission. And aren't projectiles supposed to be against the rules?
posted by We had a deal, Kyle at 2:21 PM on June 6

Incidentally the "IMDB Series Info" metadata goes to the 2000-2002 incarnation; I think the correct IMDB link for the 2015- version is https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4816364/ . I think that would be a mod fix.
posted by We had a deal, Kyle at 2:37 PM on June 6

Robot fighting championship is one of the few things I genuinely enjoy about our dystopian future (present).
posted by some loser at 7:39 PM on June 6

For those of you building deadly robots along at home, I've found the BattleBots Design Rules [pdf].
posted by Huffy Puffy at 5:27 AM on June 7 [2 favorites]

The new season will be comprised of 20 episodes, so quite a few left.

Projectiles have always been legal, but in the old rules they were required to be tethered. The new rules allow for limited untethered shots, but only after a strict safety review to make sure they won't breach the arena walls.
posted by Diginati at 12:15 PM on June 7

Visible during the Blacksmith fight this week: a camera drone hovering over the arena.

Horizontal spinners do seem to run a very big risk of flinging and/or overturning themselves in reaction to their own weapon impact. Drum spinners seem much more stable here, with the reaction simply pressing them down onto the arena floor.

I really like Huge's big bendy bouncy wheels; they always look like they're about to crumple, but never do.
posted by We had a deal, Kyle at 4:22 PM on June 11

« Older The Department of Time: Separa...   |  Movie: The Birds... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster