If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)
December 29, 2018 2:41 AM - Subscribe

Best movie of the year. The acting, the cinematography, the costuming, the editing, everything.
posted by loriginedumonde at 8:23 AM on December 29

I don't know if I'd call it the best movie of the year but I did think it was exceptionally well done. The cast is stellar and the production values are impressive. At the very least Regina King should get an Oscar nod, and there will likely be other nominations as well. Barry Jenkins keeps bringing the heat.

I could see though how some older, more conservative Academy members might see this movie as Oscar bait.
posted by fuse theorem at 4:35 PM on January 3

this is a beautiful and aching movie. love the carry over of moonlight's lingering close-ups and the desperate need for human connection that they convey. intimacy separated by glass, framed by the hope or expectation of reaction

i will say it's maybe a little overly reverential of Baldwin's actual prose -- the majority of scenes that include it via voice-over already breathe better life into those words just with the cinematography, acting, editing, etc., and the couple of scenes that seem better built for the narration also feel a bit too didactic and broad in a film otherwise constructed so intimately communal and familial. (so basically they could have stripped the voiceover out entirely, changed nothing else, and it would only have improved the aspects of the film that already work well)

hard to think of another movie right now that better fits the term "bittersweet".
posted by Kybard at 6:12 PM on January 21

« Older RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race: ...   |  Movie: After The Screaming Sto... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster