Brightburn (2019)
May 28, 2019 5:48 AM - Subscribe

What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?
posted by Faint of Butt (7 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I thought it was pretty good. Some very creepy, even a little disturbing imagery.
posted by triage_lazarus at 7:46 AM on May 28

Me, I thought it was okay. I've seen the premise plenty of times before, and although it was atmospheric and well acted, Brightburn didn't bring much new to the table. That said, my opinion shot up at the very end.

[SPOILERS]

First, the downer ending. The bad guy wins. Everyone who knew Brandon is now dead or (presumably) too traumatized to expose him, and when he destroyed his house, he also destroyed the spaceship, the only known material that could harm him. I appreciate any movie that doesn't bring a heroic deus ex machina out of nowhere just for the sake of a happy ending.

But my favorite part of all was "The Big T," the Alex-Jones-styled conspiracy vlogger played by Michael Rooker. He rants about the dangerous Brightburn entity, and compares it to other beings on which he's "reported" in the past: a humanoid sea creature that sinks ships, and a woman who kills with a rope or cord. I am convinced James Gunn has launched the first salvo in a whole planned evil Justice League franchise.
posted by Faint of Butt at 1:24 PM on May 28 [4 favorites]

> a humanoid sea creature that sinks ships, and a woman who kills with a rope or cord

All it needs now is an evil Batman figure, and shit, how hard can that be?
posted by Naberius at 6:00 AM on May 29

All it needs now is an evil Batman figure, and shit, how hard can that be?

The Batman in the Brightburn universe is the ‘good’ Batman and the one in Batman vs Superman and Justice League who kills people with guns is the ‘evil’ one.
posted by vocivi at 6:32 AM on May 29 [3 favorites]

I can imagine "The Big T" starting a career as a costumed vigilante to combat these threats, and there's your Batman.
posted by Faint of Butt at 6:47 AM on May 29

Honestly, I will watch Michael Rooker in anything. All you have to say is "Michael Rooker" and I'm in. Rooker And Gunn have a good working relationship starting with Slither and continuing through the Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2.
posted by miss-lapin at 11:45 AM on May 29 [3 favorites]

So that was like if Superman and Saw had a baby?
posted by Burhanistan at 9:04 PM on August 7

« Older Book: Furiously Happy...   |  The 100: The Children of Gabri... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster