Mad Men: Tomorrowland   Rewatch 
November 26, 2014 3:33 AM - Season 4, Episode 13 - Subscribe

(Season Finale) Opportunity arises for Don and Peggy.
posted by Sweetie Darling (5 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Would Don have married Megan if Betty hadn't fired Carla?
posted by drezdn at 6:13 AM on November 26, 2014 [5 favorites]

I doubt it - it was such a spur of the moment decision, very characteristic of Don acting in panic with added incentive to hurt Betty, and the after the first viewing I just went "OH GOD HE'S DOOMED."

Cause there is no ray of hope this show can't POUND DOWN.
posted by The Whelk at 9:54 AM on November 27, 2014 [2 favorites]

Would Don have married Megan if Betty hadn't fired Carla?

I think it's possible that he would have. Megan had already caught his attention, and the trope about executives marrying their secretaries is a trope for a reason. As Joan noted, it happens all the time.

I think it's less likely that Don would've married Megan had Dr. Faye not made Don realize that his world won't come crashing down if people find out about his past. And Don certainly wouldn't have married Megan if Sally hadn't knocked over her milkshake.

I don't know why there haven't been more "Peggy and Joan smoking and bitching about work" scenes. Every episode should have one.
posted by donajo at 12:53 PM on December 7, 2014 [1 favorite]

Betty makes the effortless transition from Mother of the Year to Mother of the Decade to Mother of the Century.
posted by computech_apolloniajames at 7:23 PM on March 25, 2015 [1 favorite]

And Don certainly wouldn't have married Megan if Sally hadn't knocked over her milkshake.

Whilst it is a cliche about men marrying their secretaries - there should probably also be a cliche about divorcees (men especially) being attracted to partners who get on with their children. Dr. Faye fails that test and Megan passes it.

I liked the scene of solidarity between Joan and Peggy. Maybe the first time the characters have shown mutual respect for each other.
posted by rongorongo at 1:45 AM on September 12

« Older Movie: Dead Poets Society...   |  Adventure Time: Is That You... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster