Horse Girl (2020)
February 25, 2020 2:31 PM - Subscribe

A socially awkward woman with a fondness for arts and crafts, horses, and supernatural crime shows finds her increasingly lucid dreams trickling into her waking life. Starring, written, and produced by Alison Brie.

A touching, disturbing, and very loosely autobiographical movie that's not really about horses. A lot of reviews have focused on the potential ambiguity of Sarah's experience (was it real or not?), but to me it was really powerful to have the subjective experience of a mentally ill character be centered on screen and it doesn't make sense to interpret it literally.
posted by OverlappingElvis (4 comments total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Oh, and in case you couldn't tell I loved this movie (but totally understand why a lot of people did not)
posted by OverlappingElvis at 2:37 PM on February 25, 2020

I liked it, too. I do not have a mental illness like the one portrayed. And I don't pretend to have expertise to insist the portrayal was accurate.

But at least for once: a mental illness was a mental illness. There was nothing magic or transcendent about it. It wasn't a "blessing." It was just a mental illness.

We talk and talk about mental illness, combatting it, fixing it, curing it, treating it, etc., but we hardly ever see it depicted in a way like this. It's a fact of life.
posted by SoberHighland at 2:52 PM on February 25, 2020 [4 favorites]

I guess I did kind of take the movie literally? But mostly because I went into it knowing that Mark Duplass of "Safety Not Guaranteed" was one of the producers, so I was kind of primed for there to be a sci-fi element.
posted by oh yeah! at 5:26 PM on February 25, 2020

Fantastic movie. Rewatching is rewarding...especially if you haven’t seen the ending with the closed captioning on before
posted by Bwithh at 3:11 AM on February 26, 2020 [1 favorite]

« Older Book: The Daughter of Time...   |  Book: False Value... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster