Spring 2020 Anime Season
March 13, 2020 6:43 PM - Subscribe

Anichart. MyAnimeList. They fight crime!

48 half-hour shows this season, including sequels and continuations. In fact, looks like it's mostly sequels and continuations. But beyond that, it... doesn't look bad? We'll see...
posted by ardgedee (6 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

So far I'm counting on (predictably) a couple isekai. The second season of Honzuki no Gekokujou (aka "Bookworm"), which, judging from the trailer gets better production this time. And Otome Game no Hametsu Flag, for which the manga version is a hoot and a half (the trailer emphasizes the characters' breasts for no damn good reason, so despite my current enthusiasm this is already treading dangerous ground). There's also Hachinan tte, Sore wa Nai Deshou, a trash isekai in which the protagonist is, again, powerful enough to kill God but has an unremarkable personality and would rather stay chill and solve crimes have adventures with his pals. The manga's been a guilty pleasure but if the anime sucks, I will neither be surprised nor feel bad about it.

Beyond that there are a couple other series that I know nothing about beyond the Anichart summaries but seem interesting: Yesterday wo Utatte, a coming of age story; Arte and Kitsutsuki Tantei Dokoro, both (relatively) realistic historical fiction.
posted by ardgedee at 7:01 PM on March 13

Pretty interested in BNA
posted by Mr.Encyclopedia at 7:03 PM on March 13

With the appearance of Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... it looks like Bakarina will be leading the charge for the swath of "reincarnated into an Otome game world as the villainess" stories that are out there. Considering that some of them are really good, that isn't a bad thing.
posted by charred husk at 11:26 AM on March 14

The shows drawing my interest are:

Fugou Keiji

Nami yo Kiitekure

Kitsutsuki Tantei Dokoro

And I'm looking forward to the Psycho-Pass 3: First Inspector movie, mainly to see if they manage to resolve all the open plot threads from the anime series.
posted by needled at 5:52 PM on March 14

> it looks like Bakarina will be leading the charge for the swath of "reincarnated into an Otome game world as the villainess" stories that are out there. Considering that some of them are really good, that isn't a bad thing.

I hope Observation Record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess’ Fiance is quick to follow. It follows a similar pattern: The "villainess" is far too amiable to be villainous, and her classmates like her because she's charmingly eccentric. Beyond that the stories are sufficiently different to make them both worth reading.

In general the shojo isekai are not the power fantasies typical of shonen isekai, which probably implies something about gender roles in Japan, but this also means they can make for stories a little bit richer than the usual "reincarnated with more power than everything else on earth, so, uh... now how do we keep this interesting?" Unfortunately a lot of them instead wallow in a perpetual maudlin stasis of unfulfilled love (usually needlessly self-imposed) because of some perceived complication due to past incarnations, though there are a lot of ways to break out of that rut and a few of them manage.
posted by ardgedee at 6:04 PM on March 19

I'm watching a bit less this season, and maybe hitting up my backlog or Netflix instead for some shows. (Currently binging Castlevania... Dayum!)

Anyway, happy about sequels: Fruits Basket and Oregairu. (I didn't think there would be a third season? S2 had a fairly definitive ending...)

I'm a sucker for a Trigger project, even when they suck. So, count me in for BNA. (Which hopefully won't suck. They're due for a good one!) I'm also giving Arte and Yesterday a try, but I expect I'll be dropping at least one of them. I still want to see more stories that involve different environments and age groups than the usual, so I'm always reaching out and trying shows like these. Also add in Appare-Ranman. I'm really hoping that it's as fun as it can be, given the description. And, throw in Gleipnir and Hachinan tte, for my junk food quotient.
posted by Citrus at 9:07 PM on March 26

« Older Better Things final season?...   |  Watch Losing Ground by Kathlee... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments