Licorice Pizza (2021)
January 6, 2022 2:00 PM - Subscribe

A precocious former child TV star meets and forms an unlikely friendship-possible-relationship with a 25 year old woman in early 1970s San Fernando Valley.

Writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson's love letter to the valley and era of his youth features star-making performances from Alana Haim (of Haim the band), and Cooper Hoffman, the son of the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. Plus wild appearances from Sean Penn, Tom Waits, and Bradley Cooper.

Christy Lemire for RogerEbert.com: "It’s also wildly unexpected from one moment to the next as Anderson masterfully navigates tonal shifts from absurd humor to tender romance with a couple of legitimate action sequences thrown in between. “Licorice Pizza” meanders in the best possible way: You never know where it’s going but you can’t wait to find out where it’ll end up, and when it’s over, you won’t want it to end. "
posted by dnash (3 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I'm from the Valley and because of the pandemic this is actually the longest time in my life I've ever spent without returning to the Valley, and I'm resisting watching this movie because I'm not sure if I can emotionally handle Valley stuff right now. But part of me really wants to luxuriate in homesickness! If you've seen it, how "Valley" is it really?
posted by potrzebie at 2:40 PM on January 6

The most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. In some ways, it's kind of the anti-Boogie Nights.
posted by spudsilo at 4:38 PM on January 6

I haven't been to the Valley, so I can't attest to that, but I can vouch for this being extremely 1970s. Water beds. Long lines for gas stations. TV variety shows. Old fashioned "bar and grills" with names like "Tail O' the Cock."
posted by dnash at 1:00 PM on January 7 [1 favorite]

« Older Movie: Timecrimes...   |  Mystery Science Theater 3000: ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster