Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror (2021)
January 10, 2022 8:42 AM - Subscribe

From writer/director Kier-La Janisse (author of House of Psychotic Women: An Autobiographical Topography of Female Neurosis in Horror and Exploitation Films comes "a seductive mega-text" (Indiewire) through the history of folk horror. Exploring the rural roots, occult creeds and cultural lore that continue to shape international cinema, this SXSW Audience Award winning documentary features clips from over 200 films and interviews with more than 50 filmmakers, authors and scholars. Severin Films presents this "astounding achievement" (Screen Anarchy) that Rue Morgue calls "an unprecedented journey into where folk horror has been, where it's going and ultimately what it says about humanity."

Recently released on Blu-Ray by Severin, both on its own and as part of the mammoth 15 disc folk horror box set, All the Haunts Be Ours, Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched is now also streaming in the US on Shudder.
posted by DirtyOldTown (5 comments total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Kier-La Janisse is the best kind of nerd: brilliant, amazingly thorough, gifted at finding connections and shaping history into a coherent story, and idiosyncratic in a way that feels both personal and universal. I'm so stoked to watch this I can hardly stand it.
posted by DirtyOldTown at 8:51 AM on January 10 [1 favorite]

I saw that this was on Shudder today and was excited!
posted by miss-lapin at 11:38 AM on January 10

Really remarkable piece of work, and like everything Kier-La does it's a gateway to more and more things to explore.

Some kind soul over at Letterboxd has compiled a list of all the films mentioned in this doc.
posted by remembrancer at 12:57 PM on January 10 [1 favorite]

Just watched it and liked it, but I have two conflicting complaints. First, they show too little of each film discussed. Second, at over three hours it's a tad long. I would have preferred a less encyclopedic history with a bit more time for each film discussed. Despite all that, I still really liked it.
posted by Stanczyk at 2:36 PM on January 10

« Older RuPaul's Drag Race: Big Openin...   |  Podcast: My Brother, My Brothe... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments