Search Party: Final Season
January 10, 2022 5:21 PM - Season 5 (Full Season) - Subscribe

Dory and the gang seek enlightenment, funded by a Tech Dude played by Jeff Goldblum. As expected, things go haywire. In this final season they don't even try to make it believable, instead opting for metaphor, simile, parable, or something symbolic. Still not sure. That may have been the point.

Clever or too clever by half. I give them credit for taking the risk.
posted by Stanczyk (5 comments total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

i binged the whole thing in 2 days. i didn't think it possible, but this final season is so, utterly BONKERS it makes the previous ones seem... out-bonkered, hahaha.
loved it.
posted by lapolla at 6:22 AM on January 11 [4 favorites]

Goddamn they stuck the landing.

What a fun, fun, fun way to go out.
posted by rorgy at 6:04 PM on January 11 [2 favorites]

I don’t know if this is the case, but it seems like the creators thought they’d finished the show on a high point last season; and then were forced to make a new season after that, so they went for broke on a batshit crazy season about being alive when you shouldn’t be, but in the end it all worked out very well. This is not the ending I would have envisioned for the show, but I’m down.

One thing that makes this show work so well is that the casting department ensures every single person, from the main cast to the special guests to the tertiary cast to the extras who have 0-3 lines, are all comic geniuses.
posted by ejs at 10:36 PM on January 11

They really packed in so much great stuff into the final season. I was trying to explain to my wife and son just how crazy it all got in the end. In no particular order:
1. The (almost) completely pointless side-quest with the Steven King IT society." Aw, man, do I HAVE to go to Maine?" "JUST tell me her last name!". Zero percent interest in any of that Gen-X bullshit.
2. All the callbacks with old friends, even the old apartment set gets a callback. I barked out loud when Griffin Newman showed up for like 3 seconds as Gavin, Chantal's ex.
3. Jeff Goldblum's outfits were incredible. I'm not a fashion guy by any means, but there were some seriously way, way over the top suits that still looked amazing. Maybe you can only pull those off if you're Jeff Goldblum, though.
4. Probably my favorite evil disturbed child plot ever. The super creepy photos of the other kids for adoption in John Waters' office...the "no fuss" return policy...the "I have something to show you father" sequence. So great.
5. Chantal's absolute certain CONVICTION that, no, SHE's the one who ended the world.
6. That final shot.

Very happy that they released this all at once. I found it way more fun to binge through the whole thing in a couple of days.
posted by ssmith at 9:18 PM on January 12 [4 favorites]

Yeah, I loved it. I'm always in for a creative team just going for it and throwing whatever they want at the wall. ssmith pretty much covered the same high points as I did; the Jesper Club was definitely my absolute high point of the season as well -- I was genuinely thinking they might be going for some sort of ancient supernatural evil thing, and then Drew just fucked right off out of Maine and it was never heard from again. Plus I really like the idea of Illeana Douglas, Scott Adsit, Michael Ian Black and Lou Diamond Philips fighting ancient supernatural evil.

Other high points, not covered above: Aparna Nancherla! Aparna Nancherla! Aparna Nancherla!

Liquorice Montague, and the death of Liquorice Montague.

John Waters in the most-John-Waters role that ever John Watersed.

Search Party was overall great in general. Among my friends I'm the only one who watched it, and I can't quite convince anyone else to stick it out -- we're mostly GenX, and I think the cringe-comedy-at-self-absorbed-Millennials vibe is just too high a hill to climb for most of my peers. But I really liked it. I'm looking forward to whatever Bliss/Rogers/Showalter get up to next.
posted by Shepherd at 2:10 AM on January 17 [1 favorite]

« Older Podcast: My Brother, My Brothe...   |  Critical Role: Thicker Grows t... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster