Scream (2022) (2022)
January 14, 2022 4:37 AM - Subscribe

Twenty-five years after the original series of murders in Woodsboro, a new killer emerges, and Sidney Prescott must return to uncover the truth.
posted by guiseroom (5 comments total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

dang no discussion? this was pretty good!

I have no particular love or memory of the original(s), but I know them well enough for this movie's themes and vibes to still work perfectly. it's a clever and nasty little piece of work and generally balances its various tones well, which is a neat trick given how much of this franchise is about tiptoeing along that knife's edge (heh) of winking comedy and genuine horror.

I think the franchise's legacy also just gave it a much more straightforward angle at which to have a real raison d'etre, which so many of these "requels" (as a character in this film calls it) lack. as opposed to, say, matrix 4 -- which for all its merits reads to me more as a movie made by its creator less from necessity and more as an angry response to having been forced into a non-choice of either making it or having someone who didn't give an actual shit redigest it into the IP-cannibalism grind -- this feels like something the creators were jazzed up to get out there from the get-go

the legacy characters all put in great performances but are smartly utilized more as peripheral characters than the leads. I thought almost all the new faces did a great job, variously likable and obnoxious in the ways you'd want for a good blend of potential-grist-for-the-mill teenagers. Jasmin Savoy Brown as nu-Randy is a particular highlight.

also it's streaming now (a few bucks to rent on Amazon Prime) so no need to mask up and wander into a theater! go watch it!
posted by Kybard at 5:29 PM on March 9 [2 favorites]

I just watched this and I really enjoyed it. I am from the original age of Scream (saw the first two in the theater!), and honestly this was more rewarding than the last two sequels in the franchise. Like, I can remember the plot in the first two films, vaguely the third, and the fourth I never bothered with.

Again: Dewey told Sam right there, about the love interest. HE TOLD YOU. (Also, I literally screamed "NOOOOOOO" when Ghostface sent Dewey off to his fate. I am gonna be mad about that for a while.) I even told Shepherd that Cutie Pie Baby Quaid was one of the two killers because it's obvious.

Bless, I barely recognized Courtney Cox.

I am definitely at the age where aside from Baby Quaid, I didn't recognize any of the core cast. Even after I looked them up on Wikipedia, it was all stuff that isn't in my wheelhouse but is definitely popular. But hey, that's why we pass the torch on...
posted by Kitteh at 6:02 PM on March 13

I watched this back-to-back with the original, with a friend who had never seen either, and it's bad but reasonably fun. (The original is just straight-up pretty damn good.) Even a marginally smarter handling of the killers' motivations would have made this land much better for me - the setup was clever, all the kill scenes were reasonably well-done (although man, has the level of gore increased exponentially since the 90s) and I was on board with most of it, and then we get the reveal and it just... doesn't work for me. We did have a good time armchair-screenwriting ways to make it actually work, though, and I don't regret seeing it at all.
posted by restless_nomad at 6:44 AM on March 14 [1 favorite]

I kept waiting for this to bring something to the table that Scre4m hadn't already done, and all the stuff about how the last movie was a betrayal of the series certainly seemed to apply more to the third one than the fourth. All in all, though, it was a satisfactory addition to the franchise, which has always been more about the unfair-whodunit aspect and the metacommentary.
posted by Etrigan at 11:23 AM on April 7

« Older Podcast: The Besties: Our Fall...   |  Movie: The Electrical Life of ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster