Supernatural: Safe House
March 29, 2016 11:36 AM - Season 11, Episode 16 - Subscribe

Sam and Dean tackle a possible ghost case at a house that Bobby and Rufus once investigated.

Trivia:
- The bottle that Rufus left in Bobby's car at the end is in 7.12 Time After Time, where Sam and Jody found it and wondered what bet Bobby won.
- The voice introducing "Midnight Rider" at the end of the episode is none other than executive producer Robert Singer.

I was unaware that Bobby and Rufus were getting brought back for this episode, and I don't know the production reasoning, or if this is a one time thing or not. But I was SO EXCITED for Bobby and Rufus! And the space time aspect of the episode was super neat! I love that Bobby was rescued in the past because Sam and Dean defeated the soul eater in the future.
posted by numaner (5 comments total)

This was a really well done episode and a reminder of what the show can be when it's at its peak. Sentimental without being campy. It's rare enough for a show to make it to 11 seasons, but to put out some of its best episodes when it has already surpassed 200 is phenomenal.

I know it's impossible for them to back off from the season long arcs where the Winchesters save the world, but some of the better episodes of late have been more one-off variety.

Also, they have renewed the show for season 12. I guess that means we are not going to permanently lose one of the Winchesters this season like they've hinted at. Castiel, on the other hand...

The monster this week was very inventive. I also loved the out-of-time crossover and that S/D saved Bobby that way. And that S/D realized who the neighbor was talking about simply by her describing the agents as rude. Also, Bobby and Rufus chose the names Riggs and Murtagh (video). And I think Sam threw in an "I'm too old for this" at one point. (We got that line from Rufus way back in S5.)
posted by 2ht at 1:15 PM on March 29, 2016 [1 favorite]

The bottle that Rufus left in Bobby's car at the end is in 7.12 Time After Time, where Sam and Jody found it and wondered what bet Bobby won.

Wow! That's a great Easter egg. I wonder if they planned something like this way back then, or if they remembered the bottle and thought of a way to bring it back all this time later.

I thought it was a fun episode, but while Jim Beaver is as great as ever the actor playing Rufus seemed... off, to me. He's usually a very intense actor (He was Mr. X, after all!) but he just seemed kind of distracted here, like he wasn't taking it seriously or something. It gave his scenes a weird feel.
posted by Ursula Hitler at 5:27 PM on March 29, 2016

Great to see Bobby and Rufus again, workin' a case and being cranky. Additional plus, very little Boy Melodrama.
posted by Ber at 8:07 PM on March 29, 2016

I think it's just lazy Rufus, when he's just trying to put a case on Bobby and sit back, how they always rolled back in the day. Our more recent experience with him was more intense when he's in the middle of it with the rest of them.
posted by numaner at 9:56 AM on March 30, 2016

If they want to backdoor a pilot, I would watch the shit out of "Grumpy Old Men of Letters."
posted by terilou at 8:33 PM on April 2, 2016 [3 favorites]

« Older Arrow: Broken Hearts...   |  Podcast: Slate's Amicus with D... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments