The Alienist: The Boy on the Bridge
April 2, 2018 7:04 PM - Season 1, Episode 1 - Subscribe

The body of a murdered and mutilated child prostitute is found on a bridge in New York in 1896. Alienist Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, who has been asked to consult on the case by Police Commissioner Theodore Roosevelt, enlists the help of his Harvard classmate, New York Times illustrator John Moore, and then that of Commissioner Roosevelt's secretary, Sara Howard, who is also a lifelong friend of Moore's. Together with two brothers, Detective Sergeant Marcus Isaacson, Detective Sergeant Lucius Isaacson, they form a de facto special unit to investigate the murder, which Dr. Kreizler believes to be connected to the murder of two of his former child patients.
posted by orange swan (6 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The first two episodes don't sell the show. I fell asleep midway through. By the third episode it picked up and kept my attention.

Luke Evans and Dakota Fanning were excellent.
posted by 80 Cats in a Dog Suit at 11:10 AM on April 3, 2018

I'm assuming this is a show only thread?
posted by miss-lapin at 11:26 AM on April 3, 2018

Perhaps we should discuss both the book and show in this thread, as I don't think there's enough interest to sustain two threads. (I haven't read the book myself, although I'd like to.)

I found this show's strongest point was its visuals. It feels like quite an authentic view of what New York was like in 1896, because we see both the rarefied elegance and the underlying misery of the Gilded Age. The costuming is wonderful -- Dakota Fanning's costumes are particularly fabulous -- and it's an especial treat for me to see Luke Evans in his beautifully tailored suits and waistcoats.

I like that this show takes unexpected turns, that you think John Moore is going to be the romantic hero of the piece, but it turns out that he takes a back seat to Dr. Kreizler, and then it turns out that Dr. Kreizler, for all his intelligence and brilliant insights, has his own major blind spots.
posted by orange swan at 1:25 PM on April 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

Having read the book, I think they absolutely nailed the sinister feeling of Gilded Age New York. I like the characterizations for the most part, although I wasn't expecting to see TR in episode 1.

The set design is brilliant, all the vast rooms, and I didn't even recognize Dakota Fanning as first, but she's killing it.

Can't wait to watch ep2.
posted by Sphinx at 3:14 PM on April 3, 2018 [1 favorite]

I like the feel of the show, the set and costume design. it's been a long long time since i've read the book.

I am having a hard time with the characterization of TR, but that is probably my own prejudice as a student of his life and works. In this story he is a set piece, not an historical character.
posted by OHenryPacey at 1:35 PM on April 5, 2018 [1 favorite]

In regards to the set, I know I'm old because half the time I'm like, "Man I feel sorry for anyone who has to dust in that place." It may be because Alias Grace is still fresh in my mind so I tend to immediately think about how much work would need to go into keeping a place like that.
posted by miss-lapin at 8:24 AM on April 6, 2018 [2 favorites]

« Older Movie: Hoosiers...   |  The Terror: The Ladder... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster