Winter 2019 Anime Season
January 4, 2019 10:16 AM - Subscribe

It is upon us, because time somehow continues to pass. Anichart, MyAnimeList

Anything that enough people are going to be watching regularly to be worth separate posts? Thoughts on what's coming? Final thoughts on fall?
posted by Sequence (15 comments total)

Will Sequence stop screaming about Double Decker now? I will not, because there's three more episodes coming, and the ending of that first season was amazing, and I'm delighted. I'm not sure they're going to get a second, though--it doesn't seem to have caught on even with people I know.

This season looks like it's going to be a lot less busy for me than last season was--I still have stuff to catch up from fall, like Girl in Twilight--but there's a lot of second seasons I'm looking forward to. Mononokean's first season was cute, Mob Psycho 100 was amazing, Kakegurui was... an experience, so here's hoping their second seasons all hold up. There's at least one show about a guy and his cat, so that's a given.

But a lot of the new things, I'm not really sure if they look good or not just based on summaries. I am probably going to watch Dimension High School just out of curiosity. A lot of the things that I think seem interesting in premise have that problem of being female casts where the same idea written for different audiences could be either cool or awful.
posted by Sequence at 10:37 AM on January 4

I went on a real quest trying to get the full end song from Double Decker.
posted by runcibleshaw at 9:59 PM on January 4

Buntline Special, the ED, is on Spotify now, I know, though I don't know how long that's been the case.
posted by Sequence at 11:05 PM on January 4

So there's a new Boogiepop? I am cautiously optimistic.

Second seasons of Mob Psycho and Kakegurui. I'm not sure where else they can go with Mob Psycho, but okay. Kakegurui was trash but entertaining trash, so I'll check that out.

And Run With The Wind is still ongoing, so I could have a full plate without even watching anything new.
posted by RobotHero at 6:01 PM on January 6

Oh, man, Promised Neverland was kind of ??? but someone who's read it told me to check it out and yeah, after watching episode 1 this is definitely something I'm keeping.
posted by Sequence at 9:23 PM on January 9

Run with the Wind continues being fantastic.

The cute anime of the season seems to be My Roommate Is A Cat - I liked that the cat was believably scruffy and wary, given its street cat origins.

I wasn't familiar with Dororo when I watched episode 1. The episode left me curious enough to learn more about it, and it turns out it's an adaptation of a Osamu Tezuka manga, that ended abruptly due to unpopularity. Number of episodes is as yet unknown, so it's not clear if the adaptation will end at the end of the original manga run, or there will be anime original material.

I've also been watching Karakuri Circus. It's got a fairly complicated storyline and sometimes the motivations of characters in taking particular actions are incomperehnsible, but it's fairly enjoyable shonen. I preferred the Bump of Chicken opening song from the first halfto the current one, though.

I'm on the fence about watching Promised Neverland, having read the manga on and off. At least for me, it felt similar to Attack on Titan, where the bad situation just seemed to keep going on and on.

Still have to catch up with Mononokean and Mob Psycho.

I've been on a Kamen Rider and Ultraman series kick of late, which is eating into anime-watching time.
posted by needled at 7:02 PM on January 12

I'm going to watch all the fluffy anime shows this season.

Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue.
Fukigen na Mononokean Tsuzuki
Dororo

I've read TPN but I felt like it was one terrible event after another and it got tedious. No idea how the anime will improve upon it or not. One of the seasons where I end up watching last season's shows out of boredom.
posted by chrono_rabbit at 5:20 PM on January 13

I made it through Banana Fish, sooooo... well, we've made the joke that Dimension High School might be the post-Neverland show, because it's really Not Good, but watching in a group it was somehow hilarious? But yeah, as a season, it's not looking like there's a ton of stuff I'm likely to get super invested in. Boogiepop's first episode, I was mostly just confused.
posted by Sequence at 4:36 PM on January 14

Boogiepop hasn't been terribly convincing IMO. The Promised Neverland had a great first episode, but I'm a little concerned that it may be inherent in the concept that the show peaks at the end of the first episode. Seems like a slow season.
posted by Sing Or Swim at 5:29 PM on January 14

Love is War is pretty great. Domestic Girlfriend is much better than I'd expect from the description. I can't get past the CG in Kotobuki and can't care much about the stock characters.
posted by RobotHero at 9:30 PM on January 15

I think the problem with Love Is War is that, if there are any romantic developments, it will end their little competition, and the show will be without a premise. So there CAN'T be any romantic developments, so we're stuck watching them do minor variations on the same joke all season. I suspect it's gonna wear thin.

Domestic Girlfriend is better-executed than you'd expect, but there's still no way it can escape the trashiness of its basic idea.
posted by Sing Or Swim at 5:23 PM on January 16

I watched Citrus, so clearly trashiness will not stop me.

I am appreciating Boogiepop. Boogiepop deliberately does some chronological stuff, so maybe because I saw the previous series, I was easily able to flag certain scenes as "this will make more sense after we get an episode about these characters." If this is new to you it might seem more incoherent.
posted by RobotHero at 10:50 PM on January 16

>I watched Citrus, so clearly trashiness will not stop me.

Heh. I watched it too. I'd almost rather see something like Citrus than a show that waffles between being tastefully-well-executed and being trashy at heart. If you're gonna be trashy you might as well let it all hang out. :)

Boogiepop is growing on me. Once I accepted that I'm unlikely to understand what's happening, I started to like it better. There's something oddly flat about the presentation, though--the characters are all awfully quick to accept the weird stuff that's going on; they seem sorta blase about it, and the direction isn't spooky or eerie or anything. It's like the style of having no style or something.
posted by Sing Or Swim at 8:11 PM on January 17

I apparently disagree emphatically with Anime Feminist on is W'z. Except about the IPA pronunciation thing. They're right about that part. But while there are some parts of it that're visually not that impressive, there are some parts I really like, and honestly from their review I was expecting some Dynamic Chord kind of awfulness, but no. It's getting a bit of a slow start, but there's enough there for me to keep watching.

I can totally understand not liking it, but that review's description led me to expect it to be a lot worse-looking and a lot more problematic than it was.
posted by Sequence at 1:59 PM on January 18

« Older Firefly rewatch?...   |  Indigenous Book Club? ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments