Supernatural: Fan Fiction
November 14, 2014 9:39 PM - Season 10, Episode 5 - Subscribe

Fan Fiction is the 200th episode of Supernatural. Dean wants to get back to hunting and convinces Sam to pursue a case about a missing teacher at a private all-girls school. Upon arriving at the school they find the students putting on a musical about a topic that hits a little too close to home for the Winchester boys. The musical is headed by a very determined student Director/Writer who has a very particular take on the story, despite Dean's protestations.
posted by cfoxhi (17 comments total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Sam: "Who's that?"
Stage Manager: "Oh, that's Adam, John Winchester's other kid. He's still trapped in a cage in Hell. With Lucifer."
[Sam & Dean exchange uncomfortable looks]

I loved that. And I loved that it was an all-girls school. And I can't believe how much I loved seeing Chuck again.
posted by obloquy at 10:58 PM on November 14, 2014 [11 favorites]

Man, I love it when Supernatural gets all goofy and meta. I needed an episode like this after all the SERIOUS BUSINESS we've been given lately.

I loved the director's reaction to Dean's description of post-season 5 events.
posted by brundlefly at 2:12 AM on November 15, 2014 [4 favorites]

This was truly a wonderful episode and I long to see the entire production.
posted by Kitteh at 6:02 AM on November 15, 2014 [3 favorites]

After they teased the Carry On Wayward Son cover early on I spent the whole episode waiting for it. They totally delivered at the end.
posted by Pryde at 12:09 PM on November 15, 2014 [10 favorites]

Oh, and I loved the opening title!
posted by brundlefly at 1:06 PM on November 15, 2014 [3 favorites]

Seeing all the opening titles from the different shows was really fun. What a creative bunch of people they have on that show.
posted by cfoxhi at 2:30 PM on November 15, 2014 [3 favorites]

I've heard writers call something a "love letter to the fans" before, but, wow, this time it really was. I can't get over how amazing it was, for a show that has such persistently problematic misogyny, to spend their 200th episode paying such respect to the power of teen girl fandom. And nobody died!

Question - in the scene where Marie is showing Dean the missing teacher's office, who is that in the THEATRE IS LIFE poster on the wall? It got such prominent placement, I figure I should recognize them.
posted by oh yeah! at 6:40 PM on November 15, 2014 [9 favorites]

I thought the same thing, but could not figure out who it was. It looked like Joss Whedon, with a nose prosthetic. :) It also seemed like the members of the audience got a lot of attention as well. I wonder if they were crew or some other people connected with the show.
posted by cfoxhi at 8:44 PM on November 15, 2014 [1 favorite]

I thought it looked like Joss, or Louis CK a bit, but I couldn't figure why, and haven't seen it mentioned in any of the blogs I follow.

Sadly, the iTunes album doesn't include the Latin chanting bits of "Single Man Tear" and doesn't have Castiel's "I'll Just Wait Here Now" ballad at all, guess I'll have to rip something off of youtube if I want a 'complete' soundtrack (though I figure someone else has already done it, and the links will turn up on tumblr eventually).
posted by oh yeah! at 6:17 AM on November 16, 2014 [1 favorite]

I enjoyed this episode perhaps the best of all the meta episodes that Supernatural has delivered, granted, it's been a while since I watched the episode with the Con. What I appreciated most was the play's use to provide Sam and Dean (notably Dean) an opportunity to recall what the two had been through and what they meant to each other (minus the subtext...STEP FARTHER BACK!). You might have had a drinking game for every time the camera cut to Dean watching the events pensively or responding to something someone said about the brothers...but I don't care. I didn't even mind the somewhat bad CGI drive off at the end of the episode, if only because it seemed the writers were working to re-orient the brothers back to who they were in the first few seasons. On the road with each other's backs. It's something I've been hungering for several seasons.

I liked the direct salute to Rushmore with the director's beret, glasses and uniform. I also adored all the practical effects the girls pulled out for the production, such as walking trees and street lights past the immobile car prop to indicate it was driving down a road, or the pair of lights flashing off of Castiel as he (she) sang his/her song. It was also a nice touch that they had the captured student and teacher take a proactive role in the demise of the goddess, rather than simply cower in the corner and do nothing.

I would pay to watch the entire production, too. Even if they filmed it from a camera phone or handycam or anything, EVEN the second act, complete with the robot and tentacles. This is actually one of the first Supernatural episodes I feel like going back and watching again.

And egads, seeing a girl with a trucker hat and fake beard made me miss Bobby so dang much. Can't we haul him out of Heaven or something? Bring the Bobby back, you idjits!
posted by Atreides at 11:50 AM on November 16, 2014 [10 favorites]

Speaking of the practical effects, I loved the "demon smoke" flowing out of the girl's mouth as she was being exorcised.

And yeah... I miss Bobby a ton. His death was the cherry on the shit sundae of season 7.

/alliteration
posted by brundlefly at 12:18 PM on November 16, 2014 [3 favorites]

As someone who stumbled onto this show on Netflix a few years ago the fan episodes seemed totally out of left field. Which I'm fine with, I prefer my media unsullied by the real world (and the initial Chuck episode was brilliant and fit perfectly into the storyline). However, this last episode suddenly made me think the show has been 90% pandering to (some?) fans for a few years now? Entertaining as they can be, Castiel and Crowley surely should have been offed years ago. Basically nothing has happened for like 3 seasons except manly feelings, hugs and incomprehensible angel stuff*.

Also why no Jo and Ellen or Ash and Pamela in the play? That was lame.

*I am pretty sure of this despite not watching most of the past 3 seasons. I pop in now and again and nothing has ever happened.
posted by fshgrl at 1:21 AM on November 17, 2014

Actually, you look carefully at the assembled cast in a few of the scenes there is indeed Ash, Ellen, and Jo. I know this because we yelped in joy when we saw them.
posted by Kitteh at 6:49 AM on November 17, 2014 [5 favorites]

However, this last episode suddenly made me think the show has been 90% pandering to (some?) fans for a few years now? Entertaining as they can be, Castiel and Crowley surely should have been offed years ago. Basically nothing has happened for like 3 seasons except manly feelings, hugs and incomprehensible angel stuff*.

Nah, the blame for Supernatural's 'nothing is happening' problem belongs on the writers' heads, not the fans. If they were pandering to the vocal fandom, they wouldn't keep killing off every female character they introduce, they'd stop with the queerbaiting and make Destiel canon, not killed Bobby, Kevin, etc. If they felt like writing out Crowley, they'd do it, no matter how much of a fandom he has.
posted by oh yeah! at 5:48 AM on November 18, 2014 [2 favorites]

I loved this episode.

And it's been a long time since I loved and episode.

It might be because all the things they referenced were from seasons 1 -5, when I felt the show was more consistent. The Kripkie era I beleive.

Great stuff.
posted by Faintdreams at 4:34 AM on November 20, 2014 [2 favorites]

Oh thank god, finally a thread. I thought, "Man, if this episode doesn't get a thread, people have definitely abandoned the show."

After they teased the Carry On Wayward Son cover early on I spent the whole episode waiting for it. They totally delivered at the end.

I was a teen in the 70s, and if anybody had ever had the temerity, anytime before the last minutes of this episode, to suggest that I would ever CRY real copious TEARS over any version of that stupid-ass pompous KANSAS song, I would have told them to shut the fuck UP. Gotta love musical theatre!

Very gratifying episode, which sort of pointed up how pale a shadow of its former self the thing has become. Q: does the re-appearance of Chuck mean the Supverse is no longer godless, that it never was, or just that this was well and truly Fan Service Day?

You know who I miss? Ms. Tran. Her character is fantastic, that whole storyline ended wretchedly, and I hope she gets a return visit.
posted by FelliniBlank at 4:19 PM on November 20, 2014 [5 favorites]

Nothing thrills me more than stage effects. The demon smoke was the best.
posted by Lesser Shrew at 5:43 AM on November 25, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older Grimm: Dyin' on a Prayer...   |  Constantine: A Feast of Friend... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments