Supergirl: Alex in Wonderland
March 23, 2020 4:04 AM - Season 5, Episode 16 - Subscribe

Alex uses a pair of Obsidian contact lenses to visit a virtual National City where she takes on a new persona. Meanwhile, Kelly helps William investigate Lex. Kara deals with difficult news.
posted by oh yeah! (6 comments total)

I agree with pretty much everything written in the AV Club review. Chyler Leigh carried the episode and did it well, with a wide and convincing range of emotions. I liked the interactions with the other players trapped in VR Land. I want to see more of Bonnie/Tilley.

Despite all of that, the episode felt really long. I remember looking at the clock thinking it was about to head into the final act and realizing that only 30 minutes (or maybe it was 20) had passed.

I just can't get excited by William at all. He's fine, but that's about it.

I wasn't expecting to see Miss Tessmacher again. Nice to know she's not gone.
posted by sardonyx at 9:20 AM on March 23

I enjoyed the fact that Alex's fantasy versions of people she knew were heightened takes on the various characters. David Harewood's Hank Henshaw was just a touch OTT compared to his other portrayals, Jesse Rath's took Brainy's idiosyncrasies to a point just before self-parody became unbearable, and everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun.

I think the episode seemed longer because they were trying to use a density of storytelling they normal avoid to distract from Melissa Benoist's relative absence. There are a lot of threads going on with no breathing space to process all the information, to the point that the action is adumbrated relative to a normal episode. It manages to do a lot without a painful exposition dump which I applaud but having been conditioned to a primarily low density information episodes this one just requires more thought than normal.
posted by Ignorantsavage at 7:43 PM on March 23

Was… Rock Starman played by Jonathan Coulton?
posted by FallibleHuman at 10:01 PM on March 23

I wonder how long the show has been waiting to use that episode title, and if they coordinated with Batwoman.
posted by plastic_animals at 7:06 AM on March 25

Was… Rock Starman played by Jonathan Coulton?

Seems like it's someone named "John Murphy" who's only credit is that appearance.
posted by numaner at 4:58 PM on March 25

I really liked Alex-Supergirl. Especially her hair! She did look like she was enjoying herself.

I also liked Bonnie/Tilly, I hope they bring her back and that she's all right. She seemed like a nice friend for Alex.
posted by jenfullmoon at 8:15 PM on March 25 [1 favorite]

« Older The X-Files: The Host...   |  Westworld: The Winter Line ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster