The Righteous Gemstones: After I Leave, Savage Wolves Will Come
January 13, 2022 6:32 PM - Season 2, Episode 2 - Subscribe

Eli fends off a big-city reporter sitting on long-held secrets.

Reporter Thaniel Block (Jason Schwartzman) comes to town, revealing that he will be writing a story about Aimee-Leigh. Jesse and Amber head to a fundraising event for Zion's Landing, where they play car pranks with the valets, meet Joe Jonas (all love for the Jo Bros but sometimes you gotta go solo), and find out how expensive it is in the Elite Few. Eli moves a dead deer off of the road.
posted by miguelcervantes (3 comments total)

Wow, I was not expecting to lose our two guest stars so quickly (or so violently).
posted by grandiloquiet at 8:21 AM on January 14

I usually only follow one or two shows at a time. Righteous Gemstones is the first show for me after Succession's season ended. Rather hilarious in a way that one of the story arcs is essentially Evangelical Megachurch Succession. One show about dynastic struggle right after another. Concerning people at the top of a conservative, abusive, corrupting organization. I'm kinda hoping there will be an in-universe connection. Like ATN playing on a background television inside one of the offices.

Most chilling moment wasn't the murders. It was the children's choir and the revelation the Lissons run a children's home. Where I expect it's not just orphans, but also "troubled teens". That horror elevates the Lissons from mere megachurch grifters into pure evil. Wonder if that was just for character setting or if the story will find a way to lambaste that monstrous industry.

Now that I think about it, that would be a very dark place for the show to go. Where Jesse and Amber end up sending their youngest, underwear-hiding son to that camp. Because they caught him smoking pot or whatever, and the Lissons offer to help them out of a bind. "We'll help you turn your son around!" Probably an unlikely storyline because it would be too dark for the farce, but the pieces are set.
posted by Teegeeack AV Club Secretary at 2:32 AM on January 16 [2 favorites]

Moving a dead dear. Yup, I'm totally buying that.

I do like that Jesse and Amber got taken down a peg after running with the Lissons. I suspect that things will only worsen.
posted by Ber at 2:52 PM on January 16 [1 favorite]

« Older The Expanse: Babylon's Ashes...   |  Peacemaker: A Whole New Whirle... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments