Supernatural: King Of The Damned
May 9, 2014 7:53 AM - Season 9, Episode 21 - Subscribe

Cas asks Sam and Dean for help in interrogating an angel POW (them being the torture experts) while Abaddon drops in on Crowley with someone from his past.

• Abaddon's demise felt a bit anticlimactic, but given the number of narrative balls in the air this season that might be unavoidable. It seems like Dean/Mark of Cain/First Blade might end up being a bigger bad than she was.
  • I loved the "interrogation" scene. I was expecting an angel sword torture scene, and it was nice to see the brothers using their wiles for once, even if it was in a very cartoony way.
  • All in all, I dug this episode. After the boring derail of "Bloodlines", it was nice to get back to the fun season arc stuff.
  • When do we get to see Cain again? He's awesome.
posted by brundlefly (12 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

The episode was better than the past few, but I've been rewatching season four, and the difference in quality is painful.

The only bright spot was Crowley's son. I liked his question about exactly how much he could sin, given his father is the king of hell. I doubt he'll be helping old ladies cross the street wherever Crowley's stashed him away.

All that for Abaddon and she gets knifed. Most boring villain arc ever.
posted by viggorlijah at 8:03 AM on May 9, 2014 [1 favorite]

Outside of that Cain (Timothy Omundsen is fantastic in everything) episode, the whole season has been a pretty big snore. Making the dispensing with Abaddon sort of trivial was initially annoying, but in retrospect, I'm glad they handled it that way, although if this means the Metatron crap is now supposed to be super-climactic by comparison, I'm not sold. Gadreel and Cas's recruitment of him are kinda groovy, though.

But overall it is long past time to shut down the dog and pony show for good.
posted by FelliniBlank at 10:19 AM on May 9, 2014

I'm pretty suspicious of Castiel at this point. I'm wondering if the Angels that attacked Castiel and Gadreel, thereby convincing Gadreel to act as Castiel's spy, were sent by Cass to make Gadreel think he's backed the wrong side.

Abaddon's death was way to quick. I was expecting more of a fight, but I suppose it really drives home the point that Mark of Cain Dean is pretty unstoppable now. Wonder who he'll stab next?

I love fanfare! Everyone's watching the same trashy tv as me!
posted by Arbac at 11:21 AM on May 9, 2014 [5 favorites]

I'm pretty suspicious of Castiel at this point. I'm wondering if the Angels that attacked Castiel and Gadreel, thereby convincing Gadreel to act as Castiel's spy, were sent by Cass to make Gadreel think he's backed the wrong side.

Didn't Metatron convince Cas to re-enter the fray as part of the narrative he was designing? The whole thing is weird and sketchy.
posted by brundlefly at 11:57 AM on May 9, 2014 [1 favorite]

Dean does deserve a chance to go bad for a while finally after all this time. "Sam and Cas get to be evil; how come I never get to be evil?
posted by FelliniBlank at 12:16 PM on May 9, 2014 [1 favorite]

I'm just happy that there's nothing seriously wrong with Sam right now. He's always addicted to something or missing something or has something extra sitting in his noggin.
posted by brundlefly at 12:37 PM on May 9, 2014 [2 favorites]

viggorlijah, I guess after season 8, season 9 is so MUCH BETTER that I was impressed. Season 8 was "a light breeze might knock over the set." and "Acting!" so this is much improved.

I was suspecting Cas setup the assassins. It was right after Dean said something about angels not lying that he met with Gladriel.

And yeah, Abaddon's death was kind of a let down. Also, if the God damn Devils trap bullet is so effective, why not just use that on all demons. Shoot first, stab later.

I'm pretty sure they knew they had the renewal in the bag when they filmed these last episodes, so I'll be curious how they wrap up the season.
posted by [insert clever name here] at 11:29 PM on May 9, 2014 [1 favorite]

And someone tell me, why wouldn't you carry the goddammit hell hound glasses with you everywhere?
posted by [insert clever name here] at 11:30 PM on May 9, 2014 [2 favorites]

If they actually carried out half of the clever things they found, then most episodes would be wound up in 5 minutes flat. They should be wearing flak jackets with pockets full of dead man's blood, hexbags, GPS trackers, etc.

Supernatural has taught me not to think while watching. And to treat all the giant plotholes as opportunities for better. Also, to expect any female character to die horrifically within a season. Charlie's exit to Oz was a high point - possibly the high point - of this season for that alone.
posted by viggorlijah at 4:22 AM on May 10, 2014

Ah, Dean. It's not enough to knife Abaddon but in continuing the fine tradition of Dean Has Serious Women Issues, he's gotta wail on her meatsuit until Sam tells him to stop?

It is getting a bit tiresome to set up a villain with a capital V in the beginning of a season, only to dispatch of them before we get to the season finale. Shepherd and I agree that having the past couple of episodes be series arc-light was a weird misstep, given that we have to wrap this all up somehow.

Supernatural, I love you, but you're bringing me down.
posted by Kitteh at 4:57 AM on May 12, 2014

I have a hard time believing Abaddon would just sit there and not run away. Like, clearly Dean has the Blade That Can Kill Me, and he can summon it to himself with the Force. I’m going to try my has-failed-twice-now Force Strangulation again because it’s going to work this time instead of cutting my losses and preserving my life.

I was never very fond of her, but this was a poorly written end.
posted by royalsong at 9:43 AM on May 13, 2014 [2 favorites]

Supernatural, I love you, but you're bringing me down.

Yeah, we've had some good years, but I'm at the point where I wouldn't be all that sad if Supernatural just broke up with me.
posted by FelliniBlank at 7:06 PM on May 13, 2014 [1 favorite]

« Older Nashville: All or Nothing With...   |  Seed: Et Tattoo Bruté?... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments

poster